Register to reply

Why does a magnetic field repel moving charges?

by quantumfoam
Tags: charges, field, magnetic, moving, repel
Share this thread:
quantumfoam
Jan31-13, 01:43 PM
P: 117
Why does a magnetic field produce a force on a moving charge? I would love if someone answered why and not how.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
berkeman
Jan31-13, 04:23 PM
Mentor
P: 41,104
Quote Quote by quantumfoam View Post
Why does a magnetic field produce a force on a moving charge? I would love if someone answered why and not how.
Are you familiar with the equation for the Lorentz force?
quantumfoam
Jan31-13, 04:28 PM
Yes I am.

ModusPwnd
Jan31-13, 04:50 PM
P: 1,071
Why does a magnetic field repel moving charges?

Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
Are you familiar with the equation for the Lorentz force?
Surely that is not an explanation of "why", but rather an explanation of "what" or maybe "how".

Asking "why" is not always useful in science, particularly not for the fundamental phenomenon which physics specializes in. When you ask why what you normally get is an explanation of the phenomenon "one level" deeper. This fails where you are at the bottom level. Ask why the sun rises and sets, get a slightly deeper explanation involving the orbit of the earth. Ask why the orbit of the earth, get a deeper explanation of mass and gravity. Ask why does mass get attracted by gravity, there is no answer. And of course there can be no answer, it is a "fundamental" phenomenon.

The lorentz force is the same way, its a fundamental phenomenon. There is no lower level science to appeal to for an explanation of why. We observe the interactions and describe/predict them with our theory. What other possible thing could be done? Nothing.

Now if there ever comes a time when we do have an answer for "why the lorentz force" or "why the gravitational force" then these cease to be fundamental low level phenomenon. There would then be a new more fundamental set of behaviors that would be completely resistant to any question of "why".
quantumfoam
Jan31-13, 05:01 PM
Thank you so much! You can make good explanations(: So as far as we know, know one knows why a moving charge is repelled by a magnetic field?
256bits
Jan31-13, 05:32 PM
P: 1,484
"... why a moving charge is repelled by a magnetic field?"
Repelled is not a very good word to use.
Repel means to resist, to ward off, to thrust backwards.

If the charge is travelling parallel to the magnetic lines of force there is no effect upon the velocity of the charge. If the charge is travelling perpendicular to the magnetic field then the charge will have a maximum change in velocity of direction but not magnitude.

Are you familiar with the Lorenz force?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_force
berkeman
Jan31-13, 05:35 PM
Mentor
P: 41,104
Quote Quote by 256bits View Post
Are you familiar with the Lorenz force?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_force
There's an echo in here....
quantumfoam
Jan31-13, 05:36 PM
Yes.
quantumfoam
Jan31-13, 05:48 PM
Lol I understand the Lorentz force. I just want to know if in the world of physics, is there a reason why a moving charge interacts with a magnetic field the way it does.(:
FeynmanIsCool
Jan31-13, 06:08 PM
P: 123
Lol I understand the Lorentz force. I just want to know if in the world of physics, is there a reason why a moving charge interacts with a magnetic field the way it does.(:
Physics doesn't really answer "why" questions. Physics does not say why electric and magnetic fields interact, but rather how they interact.
quantumfoam
Jan31-13, 06:13 PM
I know but I was wondering if there was any deep explanation for why it happens. But the answers I have obtained here are more than I wanted(: Thank you guys!
256bits
Feb2-13, 01:45 PM
P: 1,484
Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
There's an echo in here....
Resonant theory in action on PF.
sophiecentaur
Feb3-13, 10:44 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,185
I know but I was wondering if there was any deep explanation for why it happens. But the answers I have obtained here are more than I wanted(: Thank you guys!
Watch what Mr Grumpy himself had to say about all this. (No, I love him, really!)
quantumfoam
Feb3-13, 12:09 PM
He is awesome! Thank you sophiecentaur!
FeynmanIsCool
Feb3-13, 01:32 PM
P: 123
Quote Quote by sophiecentaur View Post
Watch what Mr Grumpy himself had to say about all this. (No, I love him, really!)
I almost posted this! haha
quantumfoam
Feb3-13, 01:46 PM
He is pretty awesome!(:
sophiecentaur
Feb3-13, 02:18 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,185
He had a colourful life, too. Not just Physics, you know.
quantumfoam
Feb3-13, 02:42 PM
I heard he was a great artist. I wish I could have seen some of it. I would imagine his artistic work to be as great as his radical ideas and his amazing ability to provide insight to our world over problems.

Register to reply