Cross Product

by quantumfoam
Tags: cross, product
quantumfoam
Jan31-13, 02:59 PM
P: 117
What is the cross product of a constant and a vector? I know that the cross product between two vectors is the area of the parallelogram those two vectors form. My intuition tells me that since a constant is not a vector, it would only be multiplying with a vector when in a cross product with one. Since the vector will only grow larger in magnitude, there would be zero area in the paralleogram formed because there is no paralleogram.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Scientists observe quantum superconductor-metal transition and superconducting glass
New technique detects microscopic diabetes-related eye damage
micromass
Jan31-13, 03:02 PM
Mentor
P: 16,561
The cross product is only defined between vectors of [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex]. The cross of a constant and a vector is not defined.

Quote Quote by Lame Joke
"What do you get when you cross a mountain-climber with a mosquito?"
"Nothing: you can't cross a scaler with a vector"
quantumfoam
Jan31-13, 03:47 PM
So if I had an equation that contains a term that has a cross product of a constant and a vector, do I just cross it out of the equation? ( it is in an adding term so crossing it out would be okay). That's an awesome joke(:

micromass
Jan31-13, 04:03 PM
Mentor

Cross Product

Quote Quote by quantumfoam View Post
So if I had an equation that contains a term that has a cross product of a constant and a vector, do I just cross it out of the equation? ( it is in an adding term so crossing it out would be okay). That's an awesome joke(:
Can you give a specific example?
quantumfoam
Jan31-13, 04:26 PM
Sure! An equation like F=π[hXh+cXh] where h is a vector and c is a constant.
micromass
Jan31-13, 04:41 PM
Mentor
Sure! An equation like π[hXh+cXh] where h is a vector and c is a constant.
That doesn't really make any sense.
quantumfoam
Jan31-13, 04:47 PM
F is a vector.
quantumfoam
Jan31-13, 04:55 PM
F=π[hXh+cXh] Sorry about not adding the equality.
quantumfoam
Jan31-13, 05:33 PM
Would the term containing the cross product of the constant c and vector h in the above equation just be zero? Or am I able to take cross it out of the above equation?
micromass
Jan31-13, 05:35 PM
Mentor
Would the term containing the cross product of the constant c and vector h in the above equation just be zero? Or am I able to take cross it out of the above equation?
No. As it stands, your equation makes no sense. You can't take the cross product of a scalar and a vector.
quantumfoam
Jan31-13, 05:43 PM
Damn that stinks. Even if the c was a constant?
micromass
Jan31-13, 05:52 PM
Mentor
Damn that stinks. Even if the c was a constant?
Does this equation appear in some book or anything? Can you provide some more context?
quantumfoam
Jan31-13, 06:09 PM
Well I made it up haha. Im sorry. I'm new at this. Do you think you can make an equation that makes sense? Like the one I attempted but failed at.
micromass
Jan31-13, 06:54 PM
Mentor
Well I made it up haha. Im sorry. I'm new at this. Do you think you can make an equation that makes sense? Like the one I attempted but failed at.
It only makes sense if you take the cross of a vector and a vector.

What were you attempting to do?? What lead you to this particular equation?
quantumfoam
Jan31-13, 07:16 PM
Well, the h is a vector that represents a magnetic field strength. In the definition of a current, I=dq/dt, multiplying both sides by a small length ds would give the magnetic field produced my a moving charge. (dq/dt)ds turns into dq(ds/dt) which turns into vdq where dq is a small piece of charge and v is the velocity of the total charge. Integrating both sides to I ds=vdq would give the total magnetic field. For a constant velocity, the right side of the above equation turns into vq+ c, where c is some constant. Now I get the equation h=vq+c. Solving for qv gives me h-c=qv. In the equation for magnetic force on a moving charge, F=qvxB. I substituted h-c for qv in the above force equation. B turns into uh where u is the permeability of free space. I substitute uh for B in the magnetic force equation and get F=u[hxh-cxh]. I want the cxh term to go away.
quantumfoam
Jan31-13, 07:18 PM
Does that sort of help?
micromass
Jan31-13, 07:26 PM
Mentor
I don't understand any of what you said, but my physics is very bad. I'll move this to the physics section for you.
quantumfoam
Jan31-13, 07:27 PM
Thank you very much!(:

Register to reply