Register to reply

Genetic Probability (Binomial Expansion)

by fanofdean
Tags: binomial, expansion, genetic, probability
Share this thread:
fanofdean
Feb3-13, 11:35 PM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm stuck on a problem with two variables in it. The question wants to know what's the probability of getting 2 boys and 2 girls, with one of the boys being albino. They say one parent is albino and the other is a heterozygous carrier, so the change of getting it is 50% in the children.
So by binomial expansion, it's 1 4 6 4 1. I know the two girls and two boys is the middle term with 6(p^2)(q^2) but with q and p being getting a boy or girl at .50 each. But how do I encompass the albino probability in this? Multiply each child by .50?

2. Relevant equations

(p^4)+4(p^3)(q)+6(p^2)(q^2)+4(q)(p^3)+(q^4)

3. The attempt at a solution
I can easily find the probability of getting two girls and two boys, I would simply use the 6(p^2)(q^2) with p and q being .50 respectively. I just don't know how to factor in the albino part.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
AGNuke
Feb4-13, 01:25 AM
PF Gold
P: 456
Something like that. You should multiply with another binomial probability regarding the 4 children with "albino chromosome".
Ygggdrasil
Feb4-13, 07:48 AM
Other Sci
Sci Advisor
P: 1,378
Quote Quote by AGNuke View Post
Something like that. You should multiply with another binomial probability regarding the 4 children with "albino chromosome".
It might be easier to calculate the probability that the two girls lack albinism and the probability that one of the boys has albinism.

Register to reply