Tension in the rope of tug of war

by deblimp
Tags: rope, tension
deblimp
Feb8-13, 01:55 PM
P: 3
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
In a tug of war, five men on each team pull with an average force of 500 N each. What is teh tension in the center of the rope.
A. zero B. 100N C. 500N D. 2500N E.5000N

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
I know this isn't a very complicated question but I am not sure how the two forces on each side would effect it. T first i though they would cancel out, but there has to be some tension, so are they compounded? I am really unsure. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Also sorry if this is in the wrong section
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
Chestermiller
Feb8-13, 02:52 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 4,420
Suppose you broke the rope in the middle, and replaced one of the teams, together with their half rope, with a spring scale (like the ones they use to weigh vegetables in a supermarket) nailed to a rigid post. Would it matter whether the spring and post were supplying the force to hold the other team in place? What would be the reading on the spring scale?

Register to reply