by Renaldo
Tags: dipole, electric, field
Share this thread:
Renaldo
Feb8-13, 06:52 PM
P: 57
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following figure.

For the electric dipole shown in the figure, express the magnitude of the resulting electric field as a function of the perpendicular distance x from the center of the dipole axis. (Use the following as necessary: k, q for the charges, x, and d.)

2. Relevant equations

Et= E1 + E2

E = k|q|/r2

3. The attempt at a solution

The x component of the electric fields will cancel out, leaving only the y-components. Adding the two vector fields in the y-direction:

[k|q|/r2]sinθ + [k|q|/r2]sinθ = 2[k|q|/r2]sinθ

r^2 = [d/2 + x^2]1/2

My final answer:

2[kq/[d2/4 + x2]1/2]sinθ

This is not correct.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Dick
Feb8-13, 07:05 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,250
Quote Quote by Renaldo View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following figure.

For the electric dipole shown in the figure, express the magnitude of the resulting electric field as a function of the perpendicular distance x from the center of the dipole axis. (Use the following as necessary: k, q for the charges, x, and d.)

2. Relevant equations

Et= E1 + E2

E = k|q|/r2

3. The attempt at a solution

The x component of the electric fields will cancel out, leaving only the y-components. Adding the two vector fields in the y-direction:

[k|q|/r2]sinθ + [k|q|/r2]sinθ = 2[k|q|/r2]sinθ

r^2 = [d/2 + x^2]1/2

My final answer:

2[kq/[d2/4 + x2]1/2]sinθ

This is not correct.
For one thing r^2=x^2+(d/2)^2. You've got an extra square root. For another, you should be able to express sinθ in terms of x and d as well.
Renaldo
Feb8-13, 07:24 PM
Quote Quote by Dick View Post
For one thing r^2=x^2+(d/2)^2. You've got an extra square root. For another, you should be able to express sinθ in terms of x and d as well.
Yes, I noticed that extra square root. When I fix things up, and set sinθ equal to d/2r:

It's a lot of algebra, but it comes out to kqd/[(d2/4)+x2)]3/2. Does that look right?

Dick
Feb8-13, 07:29 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,250
Electric Field Due to Dipole Problem

Quote Quote by Renaldo View Post
Yes, I noticed that extra square root. When I fix things up, and set sinθ equal to d/2r:

It's a lot of algebra, but it comes out to kqd/[(d2/4)+x2)]3/2. Does that look right?
Looks ok to me.
Renaldo
Feb8-13, 07:31 PM
Quote Quote by Dick View Post
Looks ok to me.
All right. Thanks. Webassign doesn't like the answer but I feel confident in the math. Could be a problem with Webassign.

Register to reply