P-State Lightwave question

• Thread starter paul11273
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the expression for a P-State lightwave traveling along a line in the xy-plane at 45 degrees to the x-axis. The speaker is struggling to understand the problem and is looking for guidance on how to approach it. Another person suggests using the equation A\cos(\vec k \cdot \vec r - \omega t - \varphi_0) to solve the problem.
paul11273
I do not even really know where to begin with this problem.
Any help would be great.

Q. Write an expression for a P-State (linearly polarized) lightwave of angular frequency [tex]\omega[/tex] and amplitude [tex]E_{0}[/tex] propogating along a line in the xy-plane at 45 degress to the x-axis and having its plane of vibration corresponding to the xy-plane. At t=0, y=0 and x=0 the field is zero.

Like I said, I don't even know where to start. This prof is miserable, and the book is light on examples and explanations.

I am figuring the equation will be of the form [tex] \vec{E}=(\tilde{i}E_{0x}+\tilde{j}E_{0y})cos(kz-\omega t) [/tex]
This would be a wave traveling along the z-axis, so I expect that I have to change this term with a vector specifying the path 45 degrees from the x-axis. But how to do this? The prof did give a hint that we need to perform an operation of taking the dot product of two vectors, say k dot r. He was very vague, in fact down right confusing after that.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
No takers on this question?
I know I have shown no work, but I am completely stuck.
Can anyone gander atleast a starting point?

A plane wave with wavenumber k traveling in an arbitrary direction given by the unit vector [itex]\hat k[/itex] can be represented as:

[tex]A\cos(\vec k \cdot \vec r - \omega t - \varphi_0)[/tex]
where [itex]|\vec k|=k[/itex].

Try to see why this is true. Draw a diagram or so. I think you'll learn the most by understanding this general case. Solving your problem is then easy.

1. What is P-State Lightwave?

P-State Lightwave is a technology used in microprocessors to control the voltage and frequency of the processor in order to optimize its performance and power consumption.

2. How does P-State Lightwave work?

P-State Lightwave works by adjusting the voltage and frequency of the processor based on its workload. When the workload is high, the voltage and frequency are increased to improve performance, and when the workload is low, they are decreased to save power.

3. What are the benefits of P-State Lightwave?

The benefits of P-State Lightwave include improved performance and energy efficiency, as well as the ability to dynamically adjust to changing workloads. This can also result in longer battery life for devices.

4. Is P-State Lightwave used in all processors?

No, P-State Lightwave is not used in all processors. It is most commonly found in modern processors, particularly in those designed for mobile devices.

5. Can P-State Lightwave be manually controlled?

In most cases, P-State Lightwave is automatically controlled by the processor. However, some processors may allow for manual control through software or BIOS settings.