Register to reply

P-State Lightwave question

by paul11273
Tags: lightwave, pstate
Share this thread:
paul11273
Mar13-05, 05:18 PM
P: 156
I do not even really know where to begin with this problem.
Any help would be great.

Q. Write an expression for a P-State (linearly polarized) lightwave of angular frequency [tex]\omega[/tex] and amplitude [tex]E_{0}[/tex] propogating along a line in the xy-plane at 45 degress to the x-axis and having its plane of vibration corresponding to the xy-plane. At t=0, y=0 and x=0 the field is zero.

Like I said, I don't even know where to start. This prof is miserable, and the book is light on examples and explanations.

I am figuring the equation will be of the form [tex] \vec{E}=(\tilde{i}E_{0x}+\tilde{j}E_{0y})cos(kz-\omega t) [/tex]
This would be a wave traveling along the z-axis, so I expect that I have to change this term with a vector specifying the path 45 degrees from the x-axis. But how to do this? The prof did give a hint that we need to perform an operation of taking the dot product of two vectors, say k dot r. He was very vague, in fact down right confusing after that.

Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Final pieces to the circadian clock puzzle found
A spray-on light show on four wheels: Darkside Scientific
How an ancient vertebrate uses familiar tools to build a strange-looking head
paul11273
Mar15-05, 06:09 AM
P: 156
No takers on this question?
I know I have shown no work, but I am completely stuck.
Can anyone gander atleast a starting point?
Galileo
Mar15-05, 08:11 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,002
A plane wave with wavenumber k travelling in an arbitrary direction given by the unit vector [itex]\hat k[/itex] can be represented as:

[tex]A\cos(\vec k \cdot \vec r - \omega t - \varphi_0)[/tex]
where [itex]|\vec k|=k[/itex].

Try to see why this is true. Draw a diagram or so. I think you'll learn the most by understanding this general case. Solving your problem is then easy.

Register to reply