Share this thread:
Monique
Feb17-13, 04:10 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
This diet has been around since the 1970s. Is there any actual evidence of harm done on a properly maintained diet?
There are side-effects, such as hyperlipidemia and possible kidney stones. Having a good fat source and supplementing with citrates would reduce that. More info on the long-term effects of the diet (behind a pay wall): Long-term monitoring of the ketogenic diet: Do's and Don'ts

I don't think there is any agreement that ketosis is inherently dangerous. Ketoacidosis is dangerous.
I support that, just look at the literature: the ketogenic diet is used long-term in infants and children. Ketoacidosis is a dangerous metabolic state. That being said, I wouldn't support a long-term ketogenic diet if there were no reason to maintain it.
dkotschessaa
Feb17-13, 07:41 AM
P: 598
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
This diet has been around since the 1970s. Is there any actual evidence of harm done on a properly maintained diet?
Not only that, but I've not seen any of them specifically study people that have blood sugar issues like reactive hypoglycemia. They generally study people that are on the diet for weight loss.

It makes it seem like I have two choices - either suffer crashes/changes in energy and possibly end up diabetic, or suffer kidney problems and congestive heart failure.

-Dave K
dkotschessaa
May24-13, 08:12 AM
P: 598
Just thought I'd dig up this thread.

Hey Ivan,

Are you reactive hypoglycemic, regular hypoglycemic, or something else? I am still working on this diet thing. Not quite atkins, but balancing carbs/fat/protein.

I met with a nutritionist but they seem more prepared to deal with regular hypo than reactive.

Register to reply