Register to reply

SHM (transverse waves)

by MarcL
Tags: transverse, waves
Share this thread:
MarcL
Feb19-13, 03:22 PM
P: 87
So, I have to self-teach myself part of my class. However, there's one part of my book I can't understad at all.

First, I would like to understand, why does a transverse motion has 3 variable, y,x, and t . In my book they give the explanation y=h(x,t) and when we find the formula of the wave we get y=Asin(kx +/- wt).

I'm wondering, if y is the displacement of one element of a string, then what does x represent? I'm all confused :/
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
A new, tunable device for spintronics
Watching the structure of glass under pressure
New imaging technique shows how cocaine shuts down blood flow in mouse brains
bossman27
Feb19-13, 03:44 PM
P: 204
Yes, y represents displacement, x specifies at what point along the x-axis. Just think about a picture of the wave... obviously displacement is not the same at every x position, and even if you stay at one x position, the displacement varies in time, hence the need for both variables.
MarcL
Feb19-13, 03:46 PM
P: 87
so x represent the displacement of the wave itself?

bossman27
Feb19-13, 07:52 PM
P: 204
SHM (transverse waves)

No, it specifies the position in the direction that the wave is traveling. If you just have a function y(x), what does x represent? What does y represent? Nothing changes for y(x,t) except that y now changes as time passes, meaning if you say at the same x position, the displacement (y) changes (periodically, in this case). In the terms you put it, x is the position of a particular "element" of the string.

Register to reply