Upper limit to size of Air Supported Structure?

In summary, air supported structures can be made very large due to the low pressure differential needed to keep them inflated. However, there are limitations such as structural stress at coupling points and difficulty in dealing with precipitation. Engineers and architects have pushed the limits, but there are still factors to consider in creating these structures.
Stupid Genius
Upper limit to size of Air Supported Structure??

Hey yall! I am new here, and I'd like to ask a question I can't seem to get an answer to anywhere else, so why not get it here! I'll get right to it! The question is...What is the upper limit of an air supported structure, and what is the maximum safe pressure inside said structure? Can they simply be made as large as you would like? Or is there limits such as outside wind force, inside pressure of structure relative to overall weight of the structure, the structure tearing from the immense forces created by rising air, shape of structure, volume of air within structure ect. please list the equations or whatever else involved in your reasoning, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

No this isn't for school, and I'm thinking big, like the biggest it can get. Not specifically blow up structures like playhouses, but more so like the inflated white golf domes you see from place to place, how big can they theoretically be?

Stupid Genius said:
No this isn't for school, and I'm thinking big, like the biggest it can get. Not specifically blow up structures like playhouses, but more so like the inflated white golf domes you see from place to place, how big can they theoretically be?
i think the link to wikipedia gives you an idea of how far engineers and architects have dared. I'm sure there's a tolerance factored for extreme weather and material stress limits as well as fan power consumption. However you're not going find the design equations here beyond the simple physics of roof weight to air pressure.

I suppose if people want to use it the bends would limit the maximium pressure difference :-)

Air supported structures can be enormous, because the bigger the structure, the less the pressure differential needed to keep them inflated. So they are very user friendly, apart from the need to go through limited entrances.
The problems arise at the coupling points, where the structure meets its mooring, because the stresses have to be distributed from there.
The other challenge is precipitation, which can impose very large localized loads that an air supported structure has difficulty dealing with. There is a video on line of such a failure in an air supported arena roof, Denver or Minneapolis, I think, which illustrates that very well.

What is an Air Supported Structure?

An Air Supported Structure (ASS) is a type of building or structure that uses air pressure to support its shape and provide structural stability. This is achieved by pumping air into a specially designed membrane that forms the external walls and roof of the structure.

What is the maximum size that an Air Supported Structure can be built?

The maximum size of an Air Supported Structure is dependent on various factors such as the location, environmental conditions, and the purpose of the structure. Generally, ASS can range from a few hundred square meters to several thousand square meters in size. However, there is no specific upper limit to the size of an ASS.

What are the limitations of building larger Air Supported Structures?

As the size of an Air Supported Structure increases, the amount of air required to maintain its shape also increases. This can result in higher energy costs and require larger and more powerful air pumps. Additionally, larger ASS may face challenges in terms of stability and resistance to extreme weather conditions.

What materials are used to construct an Air Supported Structure?

The membrane of an Air Supported Structure is typically made of high-strength polyester fabric coated with PVC or similar materials. The structural support system can be made of steel, aluminum, or other lightweight materials. The selection of materials depends on the size, location, and purpose of the structure.

What are the benefits of using Air Supported Structures?

Air Supported Structures offer several benefits including cost-effectiveness, quick construction time, and versatility in terms of design and purpose. They also have lower environmental impact compared to traditional buildings and can be easily relocated or expanded if needed.