What happens to P when a vessel of water with no headspace is heated?

In summary, pressure will increase when the vessel is filled with water and heated. It is not predicted by a different equation than the equation for vapor pressure.
benwade90
Assume we have a vessel capable of withstanding infinite pressure. What happens to the pressure inside the vessel when that vessel is filled completely with water, with no air space at the top, and is then heated? Do the equations for vapor pressure still apply if there's no space for a vapor?

Also, what happens when you reach supercritical temperature/pressure combinations?

Science news on Phys.org

What do you think will happen?

Well I don't know precisely, which is why I'm asking for help. Obviously pressure will increase, but what I don't know is if it's predicted by a whole different equation than the equation for vapor pressure. Does it change as a function of the amount headspace (0% headspace vs. 15% vs 58%, for example)? Does it change to a whole new regime under supercritical conditions? Stuff like that.

Is liquid water compressible or incompressible? If there is no vapor, will the vapor pressure equation be valid?

I reckon not. That's what I was trying to ask with "Do the equations for vapor pressure still apply if there's no space for a vapor?" So that being said, how do you describe pressure in a heated liquid that has no room for expansion?

I don't know, but I can guess. Water expands quite a bit when heated, so, given an invincible container, the pressure must get very large very fast. So no gas will form. Now either, you keep increasing the temperature beyond the critical temperature of water, and the distinction between liquid and gas disappears, or, perhaps even weirder you will get some exotic forms of ice like ice VII, X, or XI, according to the phase diagram here.
http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/phase.html
(Water is crazy!)

I don't think you will actually get these ice forms, because those exotic ice forms are denser than water, so the pressure would not increase beyond a certain point. Rather, you would probably move in a curved path that takes you from liquid water over the critical point, and you will have a supercritical fluid. Note that there is no sudden change from a liquid to a supercritical fluid. As you increase the temperature, the liquid just gradually transforms into a supercritical fluid.

Last edited:

I think Khashishi is correct. But, why don't you do a calculation just to see? If the container does not expand, then the average density of the water in the container is constant while you heat it. See if this is consistent with the water remaining all liquid (or supercritical liquid). Almost certainly it is.

1. What is P in this context?

In this context, P refers to the pressure inside the vessel of water.

2. Why is the headspace important in this experiment?

The headspace, or the empty space above the water, allows for expansion of the water as it is heated. Without a headspace, the pressure inside the vessel would increase significantly, potentially causing the vessel to burst.

3. What happens to the pressure as the water is heated?

As the water is heated, the pressure inside the vessel increases. This is due to the molecules of water gaining energy and moving more rapidly, causing them to collide with the walls of the vessel with greater force.

4. Does the amount of water in the vessel affect the pressure?

Yes, the amount of water in the vessel does affect the pressure. The more water there is, the more molecules there are to gain energy and increase the pressure inside the vessel.

5. Is the pressure inside the vessel constant during the heating process?

No, the pressure inside the vessel is not constant during the heating process. As the water gains energy and expands, the pressure increases. However, once the water reaches its boiling point, the pressure will remain constant until all of the water has evaporated.