Register to reply

Radial vs Axial Turbine, diff in mechanical stress

by Chuck 65
Tags: axial, diff, mechanical, radial, stress, turbine
Share this thread:
Chuck 65
Feb26-13, 06:19 PM
P: 1
I am a hobbyist and I have designed a radial turbine device for use in a tidal stream. I have conducted a couple of experiments to demonstrate that there is less mechanical stress in the radial approach as compared to the axial approach but I would like to prove this concept mathematically (at a basic level). I have been able to find references to Eulers equation but (not being an engineer or physicist) am unable to figure out how to use the formula to show the difference. Can someone out there please explain the basic math principles that show why an axial turbine will have more mechanical stresses than a radial turbine?

W=(U2-U1) + (V2-V1) + (W2-W1) where U = Blade velocity, V = Absolute Velocity, W = Relative Velocity.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?

Register to reply