Register to reply

Statics: Find resultant force and couple moment

by Chandasouk
Tags: couple, force, moment, resultant, statics
Share this thread:
Chandasouk
Mar9-13, 06:02 PM
P: 165

Calculate the resultant force’s magnitude and the couple moment.

Let a = 3.70 m
w1=5.35kN/m
w2=4.00kN/m

The resultant force of the triangle is 1/2(3.70)(5.35)=9.898 kN

The resultant force of the rectangle is (4)(3.70) = 14.8kN

So FR (The force's magnitude) is 24.69kN

I found the location of the triangle's load to be 1/3(3.7) = 1.233m

I found the location of the rectangles load to be 1/2(3.70)+3.7 = 5.550m

So I calculated the couple moment MRa (Taking counter clockwise to be POSITIVE) I get
(9.898)(1.233)+(14.8)(5.55) = 94.3kN*m

but when I put these answers down for MasteringEngineering, they are incorrect. Where did I go wrong?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
haruspex
Mar9-13, 06:36 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 9,644
W1 and W2 are acting in opposite directions.
Even if you correct that your FR calculation will still be wrong. You don't want the total vertical force. You only want the load at A. To get that, take moments about B.
When you take moments about A for the second part, W1 has a negative moment. (I assume it's only asking for the moment about A due to W1 and W2. If the joint at B is holding the beam then there will also be a moment from that, and the total moment will be zero.)
haruspex
Mar9-13, 06:36 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 9,644
W1 and W2 are acting in opposite directions.
Even if you correct that your FR calculation will still be wrong. You don't want the total vertical force. You only want the load at A. To get that, take moments about B.
When you take moments about A for the second part, W1 has a negative moment. (I assume it's only asking for the moment about A due to W1 and W2. If the joint at B is holding the beam then there will also be a moment from that, and the total moment will be zero.)

Register to reply