Register to reply

Determine if the improper integral converges or diverges

by physics=world
Tags: converges, determine, diverges, improper, integral
Share this thread:
physics=world
Mar12-13, 12:22 AM
P: 104
1. integrate from (1 to 3) of function (2) / (x-2)^(8/3)

Can someone explain why this diverges. i do not understand it. when i plugged in the numbers there are no discontinuities and this is where i am stuck at. If there are no discontinuity does that means that it diverges?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
jbunniii
Mar12-13, 12:35 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,288
Quote Quote by physics=world View Post
1. integrate from (1 to 3) of function (2) / (x-2)^(8/3)

Can someone explain why this diverges. i do not understand it. when i plugged in the numbers there are no discontinuities and this is where i am stuck at. If there are no discontinuity does that means that it diverges?
What happens at ##x=2##?
physics=world
Mar12-13, 12:42 AM
oh. it would equal to zero. so does that mean that it is continuous on the interval [1,3] except at 2? if so, do i proceed with solving it from 1,2 to 2,3 ?

iRaid
Mar12-13, 12:44 AM
P: 551
Determine if the improper integral converges or diverges

Solve it from 1 to t, t to 3 and do the limit as t approaches 2 from the right and left.
physics=world
Mar12-13, 01:09 AM
i got the answer -12/5. Since its negative does that means that it diverges?
lordsurya08
Mar12-13, 03:45 AM
P: 4
Graph the function in your head...as it approaches 2 the denominator (x-2) term goes to zero, so the function goes to infinity. Hence the area under the curve also goes to infininity (diverges).
jbunniii
Mar12-13, 12:12 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by lordsurya08 View Post
Graph the function in your head...as it approaches 2 the denominator (x-2) term goes to zero, so the function goes to infinity. Hence the area under the curve also goes to infininity (diverges).
That's not automatically true. For example, ##1/|x|^{1/2}## diverges to infinity as ##x \rightarrow 0##, but the function has a finite (improper) integral over any finite-length interval even if the interval includes 0.

In general, whether the integral diverges or not at a singularity depends on how "wide" the singularity is: the integral of ##1/|x|^p## over an interval including 0 will converge or diverge depending on the value of ##p##. Larger ##p## = wider singularity.
jbunniii
Mar12-13, 12:15 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by physics=world View Post
i got the answer -12/5. Since its negative does that means that it diverges?
If you got a finite answer (positive or negative), that would mean the integral converges. However, please check your work or post it here. -12/5 is incorrect.

Register to reply