Register to reply

Determine if the improper integral converges or diverges

by physics=world
Tags: converges, determine, diverges, improper, integral
Share this thread:
physics=world
Mar12-13, 12:22 AM
P: 104
1. integrate from (1 to 3) of function (2) / (x-2)^(8/3)

Can someone explain why this diverges. i do not understand it. when i plugged in the numbers there are no discontinuities and this is where i am stuck at. If there are no discontinuity does that means that it diverges?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
jbunniii
Mar12-13, 12:35 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,162
Quote Quote by physics=world View Post
1. integrate from (1 to 3) of function (2) / (x-2)^(8/3)

Can someone explain why this diverges. i do not understand it. when i plugged in the numbers there are no discontinuities and this is where i am stuck at. If there are no discontinuity does that means that it diverges?
What happens at ##x=2##?
physics=world
Mar12-13, 12:42 AM
oh. it would equal to zero. so does that mean that it is continuous on the interval [1,3] except at 2? if so, do i proceed with solving it from 1,2 to 2,3 ?

iRaid
Mar12-13, 12:44 AM
P: 548
Determine if the improper integral converges or diverges

Solve it from 1 to t, t to 3 and do the limit as t approaches 2 from the right and left.
physics=world
Mar12-13, 01:09 AM
i got the answer -12/5. Since its negative does that means that it diverges?
lordsurya08
Mar12-13, 03:45 AM
P: 4
Graph the function in your head...as it approaches 2 the denominator (x-2) term goes to zero, so the function goes to infinity. Hence the area under the curve also goes to infininity (diverges).
jbunniii
Mar12-13, 12:12 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by lordsurya08 View Post
Graph the function in your head...as it approaches 2 the denominator (x-2) term goes to zero, so the function goes to infinity. Hence the area under the curve also goes to infininity (diverges).
That's not automatically true. For example, ##1/|x|^{1/2}## diverges to infinity as ##x \rightarrow 0##, but the function has a finite (improper) integral over any finite-length interval even if the interval includes 0.

In general, whether the integral diverges or not at a singularity depends on how "wide" the singularity is: the integral of ##1/|x|^p## over an interval including 0 will converge or diverge depending on the value of ##p##. Larger ##p## = wider singularity.
jbunniii
Mar12-13, 12:15 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by physics=world View Post
i got the answer -12/5. Since its negative does that means that it diverges?
If you got a finite answer (positive or negative), that would mean the integral converges. However, please check your work or post it here. -12/5 is incorrect.

Register to reply