Register to reply

Why FQHE needs a lower energy state with gaped specrum

by knightq
Tags: fqhe
Share this thread:
knightq
Mar12-13, 07:38 PM
P: 23
Hi, everyone. I have read some materials about fractional quantum hall effect,especially about Laughlin's wavefunction. However a lot of them claim Laughlin's wave function have lower energy and a gap in spectrum but seldom explain why that could explain the plateau. Also from my observation, it's not like phase transition, which was the first thing across my mind when I see "lower energy", since the energy at v=1/3 is lower than energy at different filling factors not, the energy of a "normal state" at the same v=1/3.
If anyone is a expert in this field , could you explain to me why a lower energy state at v=1/3 with gaped spectrum could explain the plateau? Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Organic photovoltaic cells of the future: Charge formation efficiency used to screen materials
Promising ferroelectric materials suffer from unexpected electric polarizations
Structure of certain types of beetle shells could inspire brighter, whiter coatings and materials

Register to reply