Calculating Moment Capacity of A36 steel plate

In summary, the maximum moment capacity of a plate like this can be determined by dividing the deflection by the nominal moment strength.
dtbernar
I am using an 8" steel plate as a beam that will undergo moment forces and deflections. I am not sure how to calculate the maximum moment capacity of a plate like this. I think that the deflection would = Fb*L^3/(48*E*I). Does this look correct?

I know how to calculate the max moment in the beam, but I need to know the nominal moment strength. Does anyone know the equation to do this? I believe that I will have to divide this by 1.67 for ASD allowable strength.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do not use the information below if you are designing/building something that could impact public works or put people in danger. Stop immediately and hire/contract a licensed Civil/Structural professional engineer in your area:

Depending on your application, here is what is used for buildings and other structures:

The allowable flexural strength for Rectangular Bars (Mn/Ωb for ASD) can be determined by AISC Steel Construction Manual Thirteenth Edition: Chapter F Design of Members for Flexure if it satisfies the assumptions/requirements in the general provisions (I'll let your look those up.) Section F1 (general provisions) sets Ωb=1.67 for ASD. Section F11 governs nominal flexural strengths, Mn, for rectangular bars bent about either geometric axis. The two limit states are yielding and lateral-torsional buckling. The lower of the two calculated Mn values should be used in your calculation of allowable flexural strength.

These allowable flexural strengths are intended to be used with the load cases generated by the applicable building code, and when that is not present, use the applicable ASCE07 load combinations.

dtbernar: Is your plate bending about its minor axis or major axis? If it is bending about its major axis, see post 2. If your plate is subjected only to static loading, in a building, and is bending about its minor axis, then you would want to ensure the applied moment, M, does not exceed 0.25*b*(t^2)*Sty/1.67, where b = plate width (mm), t = plate thickness (mm), and, for your material, Sty = 250 MPa.

Last edited:

1. What is A36 steel plate and why is it important to calculate its moment capacity?

A36 steel plate is a type of low carbon steel that is commonly used in construction and manufacturing industries. Its moment capacity refers to its ability to resist bending or twisting forces, making it an important factor in determining the structural integrity of a building or piece of equipment.

2. What factors affect the moment capacity of A36 steel plate?

The moment capacity of A36 steel plate is influenced by several factors, including the thickness of the plate, the shape and size of the plate, the type of loading it experiences, and the material properties of the steel itself.

3. How is the moment capacity of A36 steel plate calculated?

The moment capacity of A36 steel plate is typically calculated using the formula Mc = Fy * Zx, where Mc is the moment capacity, Fy is the yield strength of the steel, and Zx is the plastic section modulus of the plate.

4. What is the yield strength of A36 steel plate?

The yield strength of A36 steel plate is 36,000 psi (or pounds per square inch), which means that it can withstand a maximum stress of 36,000 pounds per square inch before permanently deforming.

5. Can the moment capacity of A36 steel plate be increased?

Yes, the moment capacity of A36 steel plate can be increased by increasing the thickness of the plate, using a larger plate size, or using a different type of steel with a higher yield strength. It is important to consult with a structural engineer to determine the appropriate measures for increasing the moment capacity of a specific plate.