Register to reply

Britain vs America

by no name
Tags: america, britain
Share this thread:
no name
Mar19-05, 11:29 AM
P: 51
well i think here is more appropriate place to put my question which i put in General Discussion forum ....
hey ALL
i will graduate this year ... ... i am fron arabic country ... i want to study either telecom or IT abroad ... but i am to choose between Britain and America .....my level in english is quite good ... but i am thinking of taking foundation courses before entering university
can anyone help me by listing the advantages and the disadvantages of studying in both countries .. e.g. standard of studying ... studying system ... possibility of combinig certificates ( combine IT studies and Telecom ) ..... and any other points u feel is important
plz help
i will be very grateful
cheers
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
Nenad
Mar19-05, 02:10 PM
P: 699
I'd say that your best bet is to study in the States. Britain has good universities too but the States has a lot more and the hig ranked ones are some of the best in the world. Also, in the states, it will be chap residence and you wont have to spend so much money of necesities. You'll also have a lot more fun.

Regards,

Nenad
brewnog
Mar20-05, 07:09 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,793
Quote Quote by Nenad
You'll also have a lot more fun.

Ooooooohhh! Controversial!

I think that's a completely ridiculous statement to make.

Both countries have some extremely good universities with facilities for all the fun (and learning!) you could ever need. You'll have a good time wherever you go, but at least if you go to the UK you'll be able to get pissed before you're 21.

tarunjot
Mar20-05, 08:40 AM
P: 21
Britain vs America

Yep. i agree. both the countries have extremely good universities.
@noname.. if ur planning to study and return to your native land, studying in any of the countries would do... but if u r planning to settle their after ur studies, then i must say, states would be a better option. you have greater chances of getting employed in the US as compared to UK.
no name
Mar20-05, 08:59 AM
thanx to all
i would be more grateful to u if someone explained the studying system in university in every country 4 instance i heard that in the us they have the credit system and the lectures are in different times but in the uk it is like the school u go from 9 to 2 for example .... is that true ... and what r the advantages of this .... and if u have more points plz add
another question ..... is it really that the life and people in the us r more easy and fun loving than the uk
cheers
no name
Mar20-05, 09:04 AM
Quote Quote by brewnog
but at least if you go to the UK you'll be able to get pissed before you're 21.
brewnog .... what do u mean by this .... why will i get pissed by 21 ?
Nylex
Mar20-05, 09:06 AM
P: 551
Quote Quote by no name
but in the uk it is like the school u go from 9 to 2 for example .... is that true
Umm, no not necessarily. Different universities will have different timetables. You might start at 9 some days and not on others, it's really impossible to say.

another question ..... is it really that the life and people in the us r more easy and fun loving than the uk
cheers
That's also really impossible to say. I think wherever you go, you can have fun.. but it'll just be different. There are lots of fun loving people here. I can't speak for the US, as I've never studied there.

Quote Quote by no name
brewnog .... what do u mean by this .... why will i get pissed by 21 ?
He means that in the US, the legal drinking age is 21 whereas over here, it's 18. You don't have to drink if you don't want to, though (nothing wrong with that).
Pseudo Statistic
Mar20-05, 02:43 PM
P: 390
Quote Quote by no name
well i think here is more appropriate place to put my question which i put in General Discussion forum ....
hey ALL
i will graduate this year ... ... i am fron arabic country ... i want to study either telecom or IT abroad ... but i am to choose between Britain and America .....my level in english is quite good ... but i am thinking of taking foundation courses before entering university
can anyone help me by listing the advantages and the disadvantages of studying in both countries .. e.g. standard of studying ... studying system ... possibility of combinig certificates ( combine IT studies and Telecom ) ..... and any other points u feel is important
plz help
i will be very grateful
cheers
Salam 3alaikom. :D
It really depends on where you want to work... as in if you were in Britain, you'd get used to things rather quickly because they use the metric system, like us, and there's no need to get used to feet, inches and other unneccessary to know units.. (I'm guessing this'll probably somewhat affect studies?)
Anyway, I don't think it really matters where you go... America is known to be easier in terms of level (as far as I know) and Britain seems more advanced when it comes to education... but meh.
Allah ma3ak.
jai6638
Mar20-05, 02:53 PM
P: 269
Out of curiosity, which arab country are you from?
PhilosophyofPhysics
Mar20-05, 02:59 PM
P: 98
american universities are just as advanced as the british. people here drink anyway all the time under 21. since this person is from an arab country i wonder if he even drinks alcohol. college is not for the drunks though
Hercule Poirot
Mar20-05, 03:40 PM
P: 31
have you thought of Canada? It's cheaper and has about the same quality
Pseudo Statistic
Mar20-05, 03:42 PM
P: 390
Quote Quote by jai6638
Out of curiosity, which arab country are you from?
Wow, I never realized that there were SO MANY (more than me) Arabs on here. :|
Anyway, in the British system you go to College immediately after 10th grade (if you complete your (I)GCSEs by then, which I thought you'd usually do (they do it in British schools here)), isn't it so that in the American system you go to College by 12th grade?
Nylex
Mar20-05, 03:51 PM
P: 551
Quote Quote by Pseudo Statistic
Anyway, in the British system you go to College immediately after 10th grade (if you complete your (I)GCSEs by then, which I thought you'd usually do (they do it in British schools here)), isn't it so that in the American system you go to College by 12th grade?
College doesn't mean the same thing in the American and British systems. In the US, college means university, but over here it is below university in education level.
jai6638
Mar20-05, 11:13 PM
P: 269
Wow, I never realized that there were SO MANY (more than me) Arabs on here. :|
neither did I.... :)
rdt2
Mar21-05, 07:21 AM
P: 124
It's probably more important to look at the specific degree programmes of the universities that interest you rather than the country itself. Both the U.K and U.S have equally highly regarded programmes, similar standards of living, etc.

The U.K on its own is obviously smaller than the U.S but it is part of the E.U. However, being an island, it isn't quite as easy to travel to other E.U countries than if you were in, say, France.

It may even come down to whether you want to eventually speak English with a British accent or an American accent.
tarunjot
Mar21-05, 11:56 AM
P: 21
Quote Quote by no name
thanx to all
i would be more grateful to u if someone explained the studying system in university in every country 4 instance i heard that in the us they have the credit system and the lectures are in different times but in the uk it is like the school u go from 9 to 2 for example .... is that true ... and what r the advantages of this .... and if u have more points plz add
cheers
Yep.. thats one doubt in here too. Can someone put some light over that please!
misskitty
Mar21-05, 02:43 PM
P: 1,105
The study habits differ from school to school. However there is usually a group of people who spend most of their time studying. Depending upon where you are looking to go to school, MIT, Northeastern, U of Maine, just to name a few, have very good programs and there is a high likely hood that you'll find most people will be studying most of there time. There is still plenty of free time, if you study. You'll find that the work load and general ethic changes depending upon which part of the country you are looking to study in. Its rather difficult to give you a concrete, black and white, this is how it is studying wise opinion on things. Its really all depends on you. There are students at every school who are there to study and advance their educations instead of partying.

It really depends on which part of the country and which school you choose to study at. With all that said here in the States the OVERALL work and study ethic is pretty high. People are driven to do well and help others do well. I don't know about the universities in the U.K. but I'm sure things are pretty much the same.

It might be a little easier for you to find inexpensive living accomedations while attending college. However, I'm not sure if this is true for the U.K., but there are school that will help you get jobs before you graduate. That way you can go right into your field and not have to job hunt for six or seven months. Overall, it might be easier for you to be able to find a job here.

I hope that helps you out a little bit. Cheers love.
MissKitty
no name
Mar22-05, 12:25 PM
thanx a lot to all of u

Register to reply