Leonard-Jones potential: Further reading

In summary, the Leonard-Jones potential can be used to model the mechanical properties of solids, but it is not accurate for metals and other covalent elements.
letshin
Dear All,

Recently I've started looking at the Leonard-Jones potential for a project; and I'm trying to look for a book that covers the potential in additional detail beyond the standard +ve and -ve contributions.

Can anyone please recommend some books for further reading?

Most of the books I've come across treat the potential as a sort of run-by thing. They mention it and then just forget about it later on...

Cheers,
Z

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ooooh thanks. I had a look at that and it looks rather useful at understanding the subject matter. However it seem to not elucidate on the potential in solids.

I'm wondering if the Lenard Jones potential/interatomic potentials can describe the mechanical properties of a solid and been trying to find some books on that. :/

Lennard Jones potential can describe closed shell solids reasonably well, that is the crystals of the noble gases (He, Ar, ...). But it is definitely a bad representation of metals and of course not adequate for covalent elements (Si, Ge,...).

L-J as a pair potential (2-body in contrast to many body potentials such as EAM and the like) fails in:
1) It gives C11=C44 (elastic constants) which is not observed in most metals
2) It gives "outward" surface relaxation which is not the case for many materials (it is indeed inward).More on these aspects can be found in any text on atomistic simulation such as

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0122673514/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Another good resource is MIT video lectures . All what I mentioned and more is discussed in lecture 2 and 3

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/material...aterials-sma-5107-spring-2005/video-lectures/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you :)

Oh apologies for reviving an old thread, but I thought if anyone was interested in the matter they could read this under the sub-section of interatomic potentials

http://www.uic.edu/labs/trl/1.OnlineMaterials/nano.publications/03.Nanostructures.InterMoleForce.pdf

and proceed from there onwards

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Leonard-Jones potential?

The Leonard-Jones potential is a mathematical model that describes the interaction between two particles as a function of their distance from each other. It is commonly used in physics and chemistry to study the behavior of atoms and molecules.

2. How is the Leonard-Jones potential calculated?

The Leonard-Jones potential is calculated using the following formula: V(r) = 4ε[(σ/r)^12 - (σ/r)^6], where V(r) is the potential energy, ε is the well depth, σ is the distance at which the potential energy is zero, and r is the distance between the two particles.

3. What is the significance of the parameters ε and σ in the Leonard-Jones potential?

The parameters ε and σ in the Leonard-Jones potential determine the strength and distance of the interaction between two particles, respectively. A higher value of ε indicates a stronger interaction, while a smaller value of σ reflects a shorter distance at which the particles can interact.

4. Can the Leonard-Jones potential be applied to all types of particles?

No, the Leonard-Jones potential is specifically designed for neutral particles, such as atoms and molecules. It may not accurately describe the interaction between charged particles or particles with different properties.

5. Are there any limitations to the Leonard-Jones potential model?

Yes, the Leonard-Jones potential has limitations in predicting the behavior of particles at very high or very low temperatures, as well as in systems with strong interactions. It is also a simplified model and may not capture all the complexities of real-world systems.