Help with windup/pull back toy mechanism floating gear placement

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a windup baby toy with a gearing mechanism similar to a pull back toy car. The goal is to wind a coil spring by turning the front of the unit and then have it spin for approximately two minutes. The challenge is figuring out the correct position of the moving gears to engage and disengage without locking up. The person also asks for any helpful reference material and mentions designing the toy in Solidworks. One suggestion is to consider using a method similar to a spring-operated watch where turning the stem winds the spring and pulling it out switches between gear trains.
gearsrwellhard
Hi,

I'm trying to design a windup baby toy (think toy stuck on wall rotating) with a gearing mechanism that works similar to a pull back toy car. Essentially I want to do a three quarter turn of the front of the unit anticlockwise to wind a coil spring via a gear train. When the front of the unit is released/let go, I want the first 'winding' gear to disengage via floating gears and gravity and engage the secondary gear train which causes the front of the unit to spin round as many times as possible. The aim is for around two minutes of slow turning.

I can't fathom the correct position of the moving gears to engage/disengage correctly without locking up. Has anybody experience in this, I would really appreciate it. Prototyping is VERY expensive so I need to figure this out correctly. Even if it's just a point in the right direction.

If you know of any decent reference material on the web I could use for guidance that would be awesome as I can't find anything. I'm not just expecting somebody to do all the hard work for me - although feel free! :)

I'm designing it in Solidworks

Many Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you considered just pulling or pushing the rotating face in order to switch from one gear train to another? (Think about how a spring-operated watch works; turn the stem to wind, or pull it out and turn to set the time.)

1. How does the floating gear placement affect the windup/pull back toy mechanism?

The floating gear placement is crucial in determining the overall performance of the windup/pull back toy mechanism. It affects the speed, distance, and stability of the toy's movement. A well-placed floating gear can result in smoother and more efficient movement, while a poorly placed one can cause the toy to malfunction.

2. What is the ideal placement for the floating gear in a windup/pull back toy mechanism?

The ideal placement for the floating gear depends on the specific design and purpose of the toy. Generally, it should be placed close to the main gear and parallel to it, allowing for maximum contact and transfer of energy. It should also be positioned in a way that minimizes friction and ensures smooth rotation.

3. How do you troubleshoot issues with the floating gear placement in a windup/pull back toy mechanism?

If you are experiencing issues with the floating gear placement in your toy, it is important to first check if it is properly aligned and in contact with the main gear. You may also need to adjust the tension of the spring or the position of other gears to achieve the desired movement. Experimentation and fine-tuning may be necessary to find the optimal placement for the floating gear.

4. Can the floating gear placement be modified to change the toy's movement?

Yes, the floating gear placement can be modified to alter the movement of the toy. Moving the floating gear closer or further away from the main gear can change the speed, distance, and direction of the toy's movement. However, it is important to carefully consider the impact of these modifications on the overall functioning of the toy.

5. How does the floating gear placement impact the durability of the windup/pull back toy mechanism?

The floating gear placement can have a significant impact on the durability of the toy mechanism. If it is not properly aligned or placed too close to other gears, it can cause excessive wear and tear, leading to damage or malfunction. It is important to ensure that the floating gear is positioned in a way that minimizes friction and allows for smooth movement to prolong the life of the toy.