Why is the gas energy in a g-field 5/2KNkT ?

by LeakedPaladin
Tags: gas energy, gravitational field, ideal gas, statistical physics
LeakedPaladin
Mar19-13, 04:46 PM
P: 1
I am messing around with classical gasses using a demon algorithm, trying to reproduce the behavior of ideal gasses in various situations. Exitingly, this is working very well. Here are my findings so far:

Classical gas, 3D : E=1.497 NkT - the usual 3/2 NkT result

Classical gas, 2D : E=0.989 NkT - 2 DoF, so 2/2 NkT

Relativistic gas, 3D : E = 2.992 NkT - as expected, can be derived from equipartition

Classical gas, uniform gravitational field, 3D : E = 2.486 NkT

Now the last one quite surprises me. Why is that he case? Intuitevely I would expect 3 DoF on |p| and 3 DoF on x, so 6*1/2 NkT = 3NkT. Is there a hidden constraint?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
vanhees71
Mar20-13, 04:45 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 2,150
The equipartition theorem holds true only for phase-space degrees of freedom that enter quadratically in the Hamiltonian. For an ideal gas in a homogeneous gravitational field you have for the single-particle Hamiltonian
[tex]H=\frac{\vec{p}^2}{2m}+m g z.[/tex]
The classical probility distribution is thus given by
[tex]P(\vec{x},\vec{p})=\frac{1}{Z} \exp[-\beta H(\vec{x},\vec{p})].[/tex]
The mean kinetic energy for particles in a cubic box of length [itex]L[/itex] thus is
[tex]\langle E_{\text{kin}} \rangle=\frac{3}{2} T[/tex]
and the mean potential energy
[tex]\langle m g z \rangle=m g L \left (1+\frac{1}{\exp(m g L/T)-1} \right )-T.[/tex]

Register to reply