static and dynamic IP addresses are different

by KMCB1234
Tags: addresses, dynamic, static
KMCB1234
Mar20-05, 02:19 AM
P: 19
My books tell me static and dynamic IP addresses are different but could you tell me which one do you prefer to have and why ? what can you do with static IP address and with dynamic one ?I mean their limitations, in what situations etc..?

I have a ip : 218.227.208.5 delivered by my ISP, when I log on the first time it becomes 218.227.208.5, the second time it becomes 218.227.117.154
My Ip is dynamic ??

Please help newie
Thank you very much....

-Kurt
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
so-crates
Mar20-05, 10:11 PM
P: 309
You can't do DNS with a dynamic IP address. That makes it harder to do stuff with a server as now instead of remembering www.mydomain.org you have to remember 208.172.34.3 or something like that, not to mention it will change frequently (at most places).

Also, I know of some services (that use ssh and https) that will restrict access based on IP, which pretty much rules out having a dynamic IP.

I do run servers with dynamic IP (and even behind a firewall), but if you want it to be used by the masses then you definitely need a static IP.
ramollari
Mar21-05, 04:14 AM
P: 453
Clearly your address is dynamic, because the host ID changes!
If you run server processes in your computer, clients cannot connect to it by specifying the IP address. You would need a DNS name.

so-crates
Mar21-05, 07:10 AM
P: 309

static and dynamic IP addresses are different

Quote Quote by ramollari
Clearly your address is dynamic, because the host ID changes!
If you run server processes in your computer, clients cannot connect to it by specifying the IP address. You would need a DNS name.
This is not right. You can run servers with a dynamic IP address. Its just that your address might change making it incovenient for public use.
ramollari
Mar21-05, 07:17 AM
P: 453
Quote Quote by so-crates
This is not right. You can run servers with a dynamic IP address. Its just that your address might change making it incovenient for public use.
That's what I meant, actually. Non-convenience.

Register to reply