Static and dynamic IP addresses are different

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between static and dynamic IP addresses and their limitations. The speaker prefers to have a static IP for easier access to server processes and services that restrict access based on IP. However, it is possible to run servers with a dynamic IP, but it may be less convenient for public use.
KMCB1234
My books tell me static and dynamic IP addresses are different but could you tell me which one do you prefer to have and why ? what can you do with static IP address and with dynamic one ?I mean their limitations, in what situations etc..?

I have a ip : 218.227.208.5 delivered by my ISP, when I log on the first time it becomes 218.227.208.5, the second time it becomes 218.227.117.154
My Ip is dynamic ?? :confused:

Please help newie
Thank you very much...

-Kurt

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
You can't do DNS with a dynamic IP address. That makes it harder to do stuff with a server as now instead of remembering www.mydomain.org[/URL] you have to remember 208.172.34.3 or something like that, not to mention it will change frequently (at most places).

Also, I know of some services (that use ssh and https) that will restrict access based on IP, which pretty much rules out having a dynamic IP.

I do run servers with dynamic IP (and even behind a firewall), but if you want it to be used by the masses then you definitely need a static IP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly your address is dynamic, because the host ID changes!
If you run server processes in your computer, clients cannot connect to it by specifying the IP address. You would need a DNS name.

ramollari said:
Clearly your address is dynamic, because the host ID changes!
If you run server processes in your computer, clients cannot connect to it by specifying the IP address. You would need a DNS name.

This is not right. You can run servers with a dynamic IP address. Its just that your address might change making it incovenient for public use.

so-crates said:
This is not right. You can run servers with a dynamic IP address. Its just that your address might change making it incovenient for public use.

That's what I meant, actually. Non-convenience.

1. What is the difference between a static and dynamic IP address?

A static IP address is a permanent, unchanging address that is manually assigned to a device. A dynamic IP address is a temporary address that is automatically assigned by a DHCP server.

2. Which type of IP address is more commonly used?

Dynamic IP addresses are more commonly used because they are more cost-effective and efficient for internet service providers to manage.

3. Can a device have both a static and dynamic IP address?

Yes, a device can have both a static and dynamic IP address. This is known as a hybrid IP address configuration, where the device is assigned a static IP address for certain purposes and a dynamic IP address for others.

4. What are the advantages of using a static IP address?

A static IP address provides more stability and control for servers and devices that need to be accessed remotely. It also allows for easier hosting of websites and email servers.

5. How often do dynamic IP addresses change?

The frequency of dynamic IP address changes varies depending on the internet service provider. Some may change every few days, while others may change every time the device is rebooted or reconnected to the network.