Is Wikipedia's Description of the Shockley Equation Erroneous?

• Thread starter tomizzo
  • Start date
In summary, the Shockley Equation is used to find the current-voltage relationship of a diode, whether it is an ideal diode or a practical one with a voltage drop. Wikipedia's description of the equation is mostly accurate, but there is one error in crediting Shockley as a co-inventor of the transistor.
tomizzo
So I have a question regarding the Shockley Equation. It is meant to find the current-voltage relation of a diode. However, on Wikipedia(I know it may be wrong), it says it is supposed to find the current-voltage relation of an "ideal" diode.

Does that make any sense? Because I thought an ideal diode was not meant to have a voltage across it which makes it ideal.

So I guess what I'm really asking is, "Is Wikipedia's description of the Shockley Equation incorrect?"

Engineering news on Phys.org
tomizzo said:
Does that make any sense? Because I thought an ideal diode was not meant to have a voltage across it which makes it ideal.
A diode has a voltage drop across it in any practical application. The potential difference is either an applied reverse bias voltage, or a forward voltage developed by the diode when a current is passed through it in accordance with the diode equation. The only time a diode has no voltage drop is when it is quiescent, e.g., when it is not connected to anything.

The only error I saw in the Wikipedia section on the Shockley equation was crediting Shockley as a co-inventor of the transistor. As brilliant as he was, he was not a part of its invention, which was pulled off by Bardeen and Brattain. Shockley had earlier conceptualized the field effect transistor, but couldn't make it work.

Last edited:

1. What is the Shockley Equation?

The Shockley Equation is an empirical formula that describes the relationship between the current flowing through a semiconductor diode and the voltage applied to it. It was developed by William Shockley in 1949 and is widely used to model the behavior of diodes in electronic circuits.

2. How is the Shockley Equation derived?

The Shockley Equation is derived from the fundamental principles of semiconductor physics, such as the drift and diffusion of charge carriers. It takes into account the temperature, doping concentrations, and material properties of the diode to calculate the current-voltage relationship.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Shockley Equation?

The Shockley Equation assumes that the diode is in thermal equilibrium, meaning that the temperature is constant and there is no net flow of charge carriers. It also assumes that the diode is in forward bias, meaning that the voltage is positive and current is flowing from the anode to the cathode.

4. Is the Shockley Equation accurate for all diodes?

No, the Shockley Equation is only accurate for ideal diodes. Real diodes may have non-idealities, such as series resistance, leakage current, and ideality factor, that can affect the accuracy of the equation. However, it is still a useful tool for understanding the general behavior of diodes.

5. What is the practical use of the Shockley Equation?

The Shockley Equation is commonly used in circuit analysis and design to calculate the operating point of a diode in a given circuit. It can also be used to determine the maximum power output of a solar cell or the sensitivity of a photodiode. Additionally, it can provide insights into the performance and limitations of different types of diodes.