Electromagnetic waves, doppler effect

In summary, the observed frequency in each of the three cases is 4.55E14, 4.501E14, and 4.62E14 hz respectively.
lovelyrwwr
I pay for chegg to help me with physics but sometimes I'm not quite sure if the site is right. Could you please tell me if I am doing the below problem correctly? My way is different than Chegg's so I would just like to make sure I am not wrong because I am getting different answer than that site :) Thank you!

ID1288_cyu24_008.png

PLEASE DOUBLE CLICK ON THE ABOVE PIC TO SEE FULL DETAILS AND MAGNITUDES! Please double click twice! When you first double click you will not see the magnitudes because it is on a black background. So please double click again to see the magnitudes!

he drawing shows three situations—A, B, and C—in which an observer and a source of electromagnetic waves are moving along the same line. In each case the source emits a wave that has a frequency of . The arrows in each situation denote velocity vectors of the observer and source relative to the ground and have the magnitudes indicated (v or ), where the speed v is . Calculate the observed frequency in each of the three cases.

Homework Equations

fo = fs(1 + - Vr/C)
Vr = 1.5E6 m/s
fs 4.57E14

The Attempt at a Solution

a.
here it is relative velocity is just Vr and it is a (-) sign because the faster object is outpacing the slower object and thus they are receding from one another or moving away
fo =(4.57E14)(1 - 1.5E6/3E8)
fo = 4.55E14 hz

b.
here relative velocity is 3Vr and it is a minus sign because the objects are moving away from one another
fo =(4.57E14)(1 - 3*1.5E6/3E8)
fo = 4.501E14 hz

c.

here it is 2Vr and a + sign because the objects are moving towards each other

fo = (4.57E14)(1 + 2*1.5E6/3E8)
fo = 4.62E14 hz

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lovelyrwwr said:
fo = fs(1 + - Vr/C)
Vr = 1.5E6 m/s
fs 4.57E14

The Attempt at a Solution

a.
here it is relative velocity is just Vr and it is a (-) sign because the faster object is outpacing the slower object and thus they are receding from one another or moving away
fo =(4.57E14)(1 - 1.5E6/3E8)
fo = 4.57E14 hz

b.
here relative velocity is 3Vr and it is a minus sign because the objects are moving away from one another
fo =(4.57E14)(1 - 3*1.5E6/3E8)
fo = 4.52E14 hz

For parts a and b it looks to me that you have it set up correctly but you're off a bit in the evaluation. I get different answers for the third digit. I think your answer to part c is correct.

whoops edited. thank you so much!

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a form of energy that can travel through space without the need for a medium. They are composed of oscillating electric and magnetic fields and include visible light, radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

2. How is the Doppler effect related to electromagnetic waves?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the source of the wave. This phenomenon can be observed with electromagnetic waves, such as when the sound of a siren changes as an ambulance passes by.

3. What causes the Doppler effect for electromagnetic waves?

The Doppler effect for electromagnetic waves is caused by the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. This changes the frequency and wavelength of the wave, resulting in a shift in the observed color or frequency of the wave.

4. How is the Doppler effect used in everyday life?

The Doppler effect has many practical applications in everyday life. It is used in radar and sonar to detect the speed and direction of moving objects, in medical imaging to create images of internal organs, and in weather forecasting to track the movement of storms. It is also used in astronomy to measure the speed and distance of stars and galaxies.

5. Can the Doppler effect be observed with all electromagnetic waves?

Yes, the Doppler effect can be observed with all electromagnetic waves, including visible light, radio waves, and X-rays. However, the effect is more noticeable with waves that have a higher frequency, such as visible light, compared to those with a lower frequency, such as radio waves.