IPA and EtOH Spearation via Distilation Column

by ChEtobe14
Tags: column, distilation, etoh, spearation
ChEtobe14
Mar23-13, 03:12 PM
P: 10
Hi,

So I am wondering if anyone would have any ideas on to how to maximize the most of my data collection efforts into characterizing a distillation column that we are using in my senior design course to separate a mixture of IPA and EtOH. The column contains sieve trays, with 5 of them residing in the enriching section and 10 of them in stripping section. I will be operating this column at total reflux. We are asked to find a design based on the experimental data obtained to design a system that will recover 90% of the EtOH with a purity level no less than 85%.

I spoke to my professor regarding what data I need to collect, however I am not sure as to how to go about doing this. He said I need to use the HTU-NTU method and find the mass transfer coefficients. Problem is, I never learned this in my separations course. Another problem is, I cannot access the trays to attempt to analyze the compositions at each stage. I only have access to the product exiting from the top of the column.

I have only two manipulated variables the condenser water flow rate and the power input into the reboiler. Here is what I am planning on doing:

1. Start analyzing, by gas chromatography, different mixtures of IPA and EtOH. Generate a calibration curve base don that. Calibrate the water flow meter since it is unit-less and relate it to the amount of water exiting the condenser over an interval of 2 minutes. 5 different trials will be performed.

2. I am stuck :/ . I am not sure how to proceed from here to gather the required data needed for full characterization.

If anyone could be so kind as to point me in the right direction, I would really really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lifting the brakes on fuel efficiency
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind

Register to reply