How to clean cast iron fry pan

by John1397
Tags: cast, clean, iron
John1397
Mar28-13, 09:33 AM
P: 65
How would be the easiest way to clean a cast iron fry pan that has been heated with water in it that had calcium in the water as now it has calcuim deposited 1/8" thick?

John
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Recycling industrial waste water: Scientists discover a new method of producing hydrogen
Making radiation-proof materials for electronics, power plants
A greener source of polyester?cork trees
bhillyard
Mar28-13, 10:55 AM
P: 14
It's probably not calcium (a fairly reactive metal) but a salt. Try leaving it with diluted vinegar in it overnight.
It a reasonably weak acid which would not react much with the iron.
StrayCatalyst
Mar28-13, 01:29 PM
P: 22
The old fashioned way is to toss it in a campfire, then re-season it when it's cooled. Whether or not it's coated in calcium or salts, fire should solve this problem.

schip666!
Mar28-13, 01:50 PM
P: 595

How to clean cast iron fry pan

Start with the vinegar soak. Then use a wire brush to get down to bare metal. The best being a cup-brush in a hand-held power grinder, or lots of elbow grease with a regular brush and/or metal scouring pad. Then wash as clean as you can get, soap is OK at this point.

Once you've cleaned and dried it, coat it with a thin layer, less than 1/8", of high temp oil like canola or peanut and put it in your oven on fairly high -- just below where the oil begins to smoke if you can -- and let it sit for an hour. Then cool and wipe out the excess. You may need to repeat the oil treatment after each use until you get a nice non-stick finish.

I re-season pans on the stove top by heating oil until it starts to smoke and then cooling. For some reason I also put regular table salt in the oil, but I think this may be an "old-wives" thing -- maybe more for a cleaning abrasive scrubbing process.

Register to reply