Converting series of impulses to a single impulse

In summary, the conversation is about a circuit that was intended to generate a periodic impulse signal, but ended up producing continuous impulses. The speaker is looking for a circuit that can add zeros in between the impulses, which they define as a |sin(x)| function with a time period of 10ns. They clarify that an impulse is a voltage above zero for a very short duration of time and mention that they were able to generate the waveforms continuously, but wanted to add zero time between them. They also confirm that they were clear in their question.
akipro
I made a circuit to generate a periodic impulse signal ,i.e, one impulse generated and a zero for around 1us and then repeated again, but ended up with continuous impulses. Is there a circuit which could add zeros in between two impulses?

Here one impulse could be viewed as a |sin(x)| function, with one period of around 10ns.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you mean by impulse?

@skeptic2

As mention previously, you could view an impulse as a single |sin| wave with time period of around 10ns. If you desire some other name for it that's no problem, all I meant by an impulse was to have some voltage above zero for a very short duration of time (maybe square, sine or some random waveform).

In my case I was able to generate such waveforms in a continuous manner,i.e., one immediately following the next, which was not desired. So, I wanted to add some zero time between the two for time period of few us( 1-5 us).

I hope I was clear in my question.

How were you generating your impulses?

for sharing your experiment and question. It sounds like you are trying to create a single impulse signal with a specific time interval between each impulse.

To answer your question, yes, there are circuits that can add zeros or "off" periods in between impulses. One way to do this is by using a counter circuit, which counts the number of impulses and then outputs a zero for a specified number of counts before generating the next impulse. This can help create a more precise and periodic impulse signal.

Another approach is to use a monostable multivibrator circuit, which can generate a single pulse of a desired width and then remain in a stable state until triggered again. This can help create a more controlled and precise impulse signal.

I would also suggest considering the type of circuit you are using and the components you are using. Some components, such as capacitors and resistors, can introduce delays and can be adjusted to achieve the desired time interval between impulses.

I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment!

1. How do you convert a series of impulses to a single impulse?

To convert a series of impulses to a single impulse, you can use a device called an integrator. An integrator takes the sum of all the impulses over a period of time and produces a single output impulse.

2. What is the purpose of converting a series of impulses to a single impulse?

The purpose of converting a series of impulses to a single impulse is to simplify the signal for further processing. This can be useful in various applications such as signal filtering or data analysis.

3. What types of signals can be converted from a series of impulses to a single impulse?

Any type of signal that can be represented as a series of impulses can be converted to a single impulse. This includes both digital and analog signals.

4. What are some common techniques for converting series of impulses to a single impulse?

Some common techniques for converting series of impulses to a single impulse include using a low-pass filter, a peak detector, or an integrator. Each technique has its own advantages and is suited for different types of signals.

5. Are there any limitations to converting series of impulses to a single impulse?

Yes, there are some limitations to converting series of impulses to a single impulse. The accuracy of the conversion depends on the sampling rate and the duration of the signal. Additionally, the conversion may introduce some error or distortion to the original signal.