Wave Pendulum Emulator: Looking for Improvements

In summary, the speaker has shared their HTML5 wave pendulum experiment and is seeking suggestions for improvements. They have already set some possible values for the periods, but are open to trying other sets of values. The speaker also suggests varying the pendulum lengths, weights, and amplitudes, as well as incorporating non-linear sequences and damping to create more complex and interesting patterns. They are open to any other suggested improvements and look forward to seeing the continued progress of the experiment.
xtempore
I've been looking at some Wave Pendulums on YouTube, and thought it'd be fun to emulate one using HTML5. I got some pretty interesting results, but am looking for suggestions for improvements.

Have a look at it here...
http://www.keasoftware.com/experiment/pendulum_wave.html

A lot of wave pendulums are set up such that the lengths of the strings produce linear (monotonic) periods. For example a common one with 15 pool balls has them set so that the first ball cycles 60 times per minute, the next one 61, then 62, ... and the last 74 times per minute. This creates a nice repeating pattern, because once a minute everything goes back into sync.

I've set some other possible relative values for the period based on making the frequencies linear, and making the periods follow a geometric sequence.

Are there other sets of values that would give results of interest?

Thanks for your thoughts on that and any other suggested improvements.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your HTML5 wave pendulum experiment with us. It's always exciting to see science being brought to life through interactive demonstrations.

After reviewing your experiment, I have a few suggestions for improvements that you could consider. Firstly, I noticed that the pendulum lengths in your experiment are all the same, which may limit the range of patterns that can be created. I suggest varying the lengths of the pendulum strings to see how it affects the patterns formed. You could also try using different weights for the pendulum bobs, as this will also affect the overall motion and patterns produced.

Another aspect to consider is the amplitude of the pendulum swings. By adjusting the amplitude, you can create more complex and interesting patterns. You could also experiment with different starting positions for the pendulum bobs, as this can also affect the overall motion and patterns formed.

In terms of the values for the periods, you could try using non-linear sequences such as Fibonacci or prime numbers to see how they affect the patterns. Additionally, you could try incorporating damping into the pendulum system to see how it affects the motion and patterns formed.

Overall, I think your experiment is a great start and has a lot of potential for further exploration. Keep experimenting and don't be afraid to try new things. I look forward to seeing your continued progress and any future improvements you make.

Best of luck!

1. What is a wave pendulum emulator?

A wave pendulum emulator is a scientific apparatus that simulates the motion of a pendulum in a wave-like pattern. It consists of a pendulum connected to a rotating arm, which creates complex motions that resemble the behavior of a wave.

2. How does a wave pendulum emulator work?

A wave pendulum emulator works by using the principles of pendulum motion and rotational motion. The pendulum swings back and forth in a wave-like pattern, while the rotating arm adds complexity to the motion by changing the direction and speed of the pendulum's swing.

3. What are the potential improvements for a wave pendulum emulator?

Some potential improvements for a wave pendulum emulator include increasing the precision and accuracy of the pendulum's motion, adding more complex rotational movements, and incorporating technological advancements such as sensors and data recording capabilities.

4. What are the applications of a wave pendulum emulator?

A wave pendulum emulator can be used for educational purposes to demonstrate concepts such as pendulum motion, rotational motion, and wave behavior. It can also be used for research in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

5. How can a wave pendulum emulator be used to study waves and their properties?

By adjusting the parameters of the wave pendulum emulator, such as the length of the pendulum and the rotation of the arm, scientists can simulate different types of waves and observe their behavior. This can help in understanding concepts such as wave frequency, amplitude, and interference.