Register to reply

What does the term friction mean

by bugler777
Tags: friction, term
Share this thread:
bugler777
Mar22-05, 12:13 PM
P: 6
Does the term "friction" mean (or imply) that there are lateral forces acting between two surfaces?

I'm not so much interested in measuring the forces of friction as I am in understanding the meaning of the term. I hope my question is clearly stated.

Thanks,

Charles
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
What is Nothing?
How computing is transforming materials science research
russ_watters
Mar22-05, 12:43 PM
Mentor
P: 22,288
Yes, for friction to occur there must be lateral forces. This should not be confused with calculating friction, for which the actual lateral forces are often irrelevant.
bugler777
Mar22-05, 12:52 PM
P: 6
Am I using the term "lateral" correctly if I use it to mean non perpendicular?

whozum
Mar22-05, 01:41 PM
P: 2,218
What does the term friction mean

Friction can be thought of as two surfaces rubbing together, imagine rubbing two surfaces together, where there are infinitesimally small grooves on each surface that are clinging onto each other and letting go.

Calculating friction in physics refers to the overall effect of these grooves as the sufraces roll, which you will find depends directly on the perpendicular force.

Conventional Friction is the force exertion required to release the grooves from each other allowing objects to slide over each other.
Nenad
Mar22-05, 08:48 PM
P: 699
for direction, always use this 'friction is always in the direction which opposes sliding' It helped me get through some tough Mechanics finals.

Regards,

Nenad
SGT
Mar28-05, 12:02 PM
P: n/a
Quote Quote by whozum
Friction can be thought of as two surfaces rubbing together, imagine rubbing two surfaces together, where there are infinitesimally small grooves on each surface that are clinging onto each other and letting go.

Calculating friction in physics refers to the overall effect of these grooves as the sufraces roll, which you will find depends directly on the perpendicular force.

Conventional Friction is the force exertion required to release the grooves from each other allowing objects to slide over each other.
Friction is mainly of electrostatic origin. The electronic shells of each body are attracted by the nuclei of the other body, slowing the relative motion.
whozum
Mar28-05, 08:16 PM
P: 2,218
The key point of the post was 'thought of'
pack_rat2
Mar28-05, 11:00 PM
P: 183
Quote Quote by SGT
Friction is mainly of electrostatic origin. The electronic shells of each body are attracted by the nuclei of the other body, slowing the relative motion.
That may be true with very smooth objects, but more often, it's due to the interlocking of the hills/valleys on opposing surfaces, at the microscopic level.
cepheid
Mar28-05, 11:53 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,196
Yeah, but what are those hills and valleys made of, fundamentally? All contact forces are fundamentally electrostatic in nature, as far as I know.

Register to reply