What does the term friction mean

In summary, friction is the force that occurs when two surfaces rub against each other and there are lateral forces acting between them. The term "friction" does not refer to the measurement of these forces, but rather the overall effect of the surfaces rubbing together. Friction is always in the direction that opposes sliding and is mainly of electrostatic origin due to the attraction between the electronic shells of each body.
bugler777
Does the term "friction" mean (or imply) that there are lateral forces acting between two surfaces?

I'm not so much interested in measuring the forces of friction as I am in understanding the meaning of the term. I hope my question is clearly stated.

Thanks,

Charles

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, for friction to occur there must be lateral forces. This should not be confused with calculating friction, for which the actual lateral forces are often irrelevant.

Am I using the term "lateral" correctly if I use it to mean non perpendicular?

Friction can be thought of as two surfaces rubbing together, imagine rubbing two surfaces together, where there are infinitesimally small grooves on each surface that are clinging onto each other and letting go.

Calculating friction in physics refers to the overall effect of these grooves as the sufraces roll, which you will find depends directly on the perpendicular force.

Conventional Friction is the force exertion required to release the grooves from each other allowing objects to slide over each other.

for direction, always use this 'friction is always in the direction which opposes sliding' It helped me get through some tough Mechanics finals.

Regards,

Nenad

whozum said:
Friction can be thought of as two surfaces rubbing together, imagine rubbing two surfaces together, where there are infinitesimally small grooves on each surface that are clinging onto each other and letting go.

Calculating friction in physics refers to the overall effect of these grooves as the sufraces roll, which you will find depends directly on the perpendicular force.

Conventional Friction is the force exertion required to release the grooves from each other allowing objects to slide over each other.

Friction is mainly of electrostatic origin. The electronic shells of each body are attracted by the nuclei of the other body, slowing the relative motion.

The key point of the post was 'thought of'

SGT said:
Friction is mainly of electrostatic origin. The electronic shells of each body are attracted by the nuclei of the other body, slowing the relative motion.
That may be true with very smooth objects, but more often, it's due to the interlocking of the hills/valleys on opposing surfaces, at the microscopic level.

Yeah, but what are those hills and valleys made of, fundamentally? :wink: All contact forces are fundamentally electrostatic in nature, as far as I know.

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the movement of objects in contact with each other.

2. What causes friction?

Friction is caused by the irregularities and roughness of the surfaces of objects in contact with each other.

3. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can slow down or stop the motion of an object. It also causes objects to heat up due to the energy created by the friction force.

4. What are the different types of friction?

The three main types of friction are static friction, which occurs when two objects are at rest and trying to move against each other; kinetic friction, which occurs when two objects are in motion against each other; and rolling friction, which occurs when an object rolls over a surface.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants like oil or grease, making surfaces smoother, or by using wheels or rollers to reduce the surface area in contact between two objects.