Does an in-line 1-5psi air pump exist?

by Hepth
Tags: 15psi, exist, inline, pump
Hepth
Apr3-13, 02:53 PM
PF Gold
P: 444
I've been trying to find a product to no avail (lest I disassemble something myself).

What I'm looking for is an in-line air pump, powered by either DC or AC (DC preferred). So electric motor. In/Outlets are just small for rubber tubes. It doesn't have to be too strong. It will be moving air, not water (which I know creates problems with cooling sometimes in electric motors).

I haven't been able to find it, but I have found those portable balloon-inflaters. I guess thats about the strength I'd need (maybe 1-4psi?). But they're large, and the inlet is the width of my hand, while the outlet nozzle is 1/4". So a large fan, medium rpm, large inlet.

I guess the physical size I'm looking for is something of the order of those in-line water pumps for hoses that are powered by drills. Smaller fan, higher rpm, smaller inlet.

Does anyone have any ideas? Its tough to find online as air/water/fuel pumps from automotive really flood the search results.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lifting the brakes on fuel efficiency
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
AlephZero
Apr3-13, 03:47 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,356
I googled "miniature air pump" and this was on the first page:
http://www.sensidyne.com/micro-and-m...o-air-pump.php

You probably won't find a rotary pump that small, because the inefficiency due to leakage round the tips of the impellers etc is worse for small pumps than for large ones. To make an efficient small rotary air pump needs "swiss watchmaking" manufacturing tolerances, so they aren't something you can sell for $10. You would also need much higher RPMs than you would get from an electric drill (small turbochargers can run at speeds up to 100,000 RPM, for example).
Hepth
Apr3-13, 04:14 PM
PF Gold
P: 444
Ah yes, I'm NOT using an electric drill, just was looking for something that had a similar form factor as the water-drill one (in-line, so that I don't have to use a bunch of elbows, as I would with this one.)

Thanks though, I may just have to rethink the layout.

I don't know how I didn't see it. I guess I was in the shopping tab and those didn't show up there, and I kept including inline.

Thanks! I may order the AAA one.

etudiant
Apr3-13, 05:08 PM
PF Gold
P: 849

Does an in-line 1-5psi air pump exist?

Not sure if it would work for your application, but any aquarium shop will sell small air pumps for aerating the water. These are low volume, low pressure reciprocating pumps, quite inexpensive.
Q_Goest
Apr3-13, 05:24 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,878
If you're looking for industrial duty compressors, try Gast or Thomas.
http://www.gastmfg.com/
http://www.gd-thomas.com/

Register to reply