I am obsessed with logic and it makes me violent

• Medical
  • Thread starter fishingspree2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, people who resort to logical fallacies annoy and frustrate the author, who feels like the perfect world governed by mathematics is soiled by these errors.
fishingspree2
Whenever I argue with people and they resort to logical fallacies, I get extremely frustrated and even violent. I have no problem accepting different opinions as long as they are defended in a logical way. What ticks me off specifically is logical errors, fallacies. I can't stand when logic (mathematical and philosophical logic) is violated. I lose control of myself and want to break something or attack the person I'm arguing with. I feel like the beauty of mathematics is attacked. I feel like the perfect world which is governed by mathematics is soiled by these fallacies.

Have anyone experienced something similar? Do I have an illness?

Biology news on Phys.org
I have a similar OCD over logic. It is more over certainty, and thus I try and reason deductively rather than inductively, assignment a probably in my conclusion. But even then, there is uncertainty with probabilistic statements. At first it was hard to accept, with tension headaches and feeling like vomit. Over time I told myself to stop worrying about it because there was nothing I could do to get 100% certainty.

fishingspree2 said:
Whenever I argue with people and they resort to logical fallacies, I get extremely frustrated and even violent. I have no problem accepting different opinions as long as they are defended in a logical way. What ticks me off specifically is logical errors, fallacies. I can't stand when logic (mathematical and philosophical logic) is violated. I lose control of myself and want to break something or attack the person I'm arguing with. I feel like the beauty of mathematics is attacked. I feel like the perfect world which is governed by mathematics is soiled by these fallacies.

Have anyone experienced something similar? Do I have an illness?
We cannot diagnose you, but based on what you've said, you need to seek professional psychiatric help immediately.

1. What causes someone to become obsessed with logic?

There are a variety of factors that can contribute to a person becoming obsessed with logic, including genetics, upbringing, and personal experiences. Some people may also have a natural inclination towards logical thinking, while others may develop an obsession with it due to certain events or circumstances in their lives.

2. Can an obsession with logic lead to violence?

It is possible for an obsession with logic to contribute to violent behavior, but it is not a direct cause. Other underlying factors, such as mental health issues or past trauma, may play a larger role in someone's violent tendencies. It is important for individuals with an obsession with logic to seek therapy and address any potential underlying issues to prevent violent behavior.

3. How can one manage an obsession with logic?

Managing an obsession with logic can be challenging, but it is possible. Some strategies may include setting boundaries for yourself, seeking therapy or counseling, and finding healthy outlets for your logical thinking, such as puzzles or problem-solving activities. It is also important to practice self-awareness and recognize when your obsession may be negatively impacting your relationships or well-being.

4. Is an obsession with logic a form of OCD?

An obsession with logic may have some similarities to Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), but it is not considered a form of OCD. While both involve repetitive or obsessive thoughts, an obsession with logic is typically more focused on a specific subject or area of interest, whereas OCD can involve a variety of obsessions and compulsions.

5. Can an obsession with logic be beneficial?

Like any other obsession, an obsession with logic can have both positive and negative effects. When managed properly, it can lead to increased critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities. However, if left unchecked, it can also lead to negative consequences such as strained relationships and a lack of balance in life. It is important to find a healthy balance and manage the obsession in a way that is beneficial rather than harmful.