How Is Thermodynamic Temperature Calculated for a Gas at the Triple Point?

In summary, the conversation discusses a basic thermodynamics problem involving the calculation of the thermodynamic temperature of a gas in water at triple point. The equation T = LIMPTP→0P/PTP * 273.16 is used and an average value of 1.53555 is calculated for P/PTP. However, an extra step is taken in the solution involving a 2.5 * average change between P and P(tp). The source and necessity of this step is questioned, but the respondent suggests using a more straightforward method by evaluating P/Ptp to 5 decimal places for each pair of readings. This allows for a naive extrapolation of P/Ptp to zero pressure.
stockill92
Hello, new to these forums

I'm trying to complete a basic thermodynamics problem, calculating the thermodynamic temperature of a gas immersed in water at triple point.

The problem begins with a table of pressures at varying temperatures of a gas under pressure P, and pressure P(tp) - triple point pressure.

wABiZ38.png

Now, I know the following equation;

T=LIMPTP→0P/PTP * 273.16

So I have calculated the average value of P/PTP as 1.53555

But I also have access to a solution to this problem, and in the solution an extra step is also taken:

dpQQSse.png

I don't understand the source of the 2.5 * avg change between P and P(tp). Where has this come from? Why is it necessary?

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
I don't understand either, but rather than trying to do so, I've used a more straightforward method. I evaluated P/Ptp to 5 decimal places for each of the five pairs of readings. It was then clear that the ratio increased by almost the same increment for each 250 mmHg decrement in Ptp. Hence naïve extrapolation of P/Ptp to zero pressure is very straightforward.

1. What is thermodynamic temperature?

Thermodynamic temperature is a measurement of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a system, which is directly related to the temperature of the system. It is also known as absolute temperature and is measured in Kelvin (K) or Rankine (R).

2. How is thermodynamic temperature different from other temperature measurements?

Thermodynamic temperature is different from other temperature measurements, such as Celsius or Fahrenheit, because it is based on an absolute scale and does not use arbitrary reference points. This means that it can be directly related to the energy of a system, making it more useful in scientific calculations and studies.

3. What is the significance of the Kelvin scale in thermodynamics?

The Kelvin scale is significant in thermodynamics because it is directly proportional to the internal energy of a system. This means that a change in temperature on the Kelvin scale represents a change in the system's internal energy, making it a useful tool in studying thermodynamic processes.

4. How is thermodynamic temperature measured?

Thermodynamic temperature is measured using a thermometer or a temperature sensor that is calibrated to the Kelvin or Rankine scale. These instruments typically use the expansion or contraction of a substance, such as mercury or a gas, to indicate the temperature of the system.

5. What is the relationship between thermodynamic temperature and entropy?

There is a direct relationship between thermodynamic temperature and entropy, as defined by the Second Law of Thermodynamics. As the temperature of a system increases, so does its entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness of the system. This relationship is fundamental to understanding thermodynamic processes and their directionality.