Register to reply

Creating Light

by The Bob
Tags: creating, light
Share this thread:
The Bob
Mar24-05, 05:01 PM
P: 1,116
I have had a quick look around and I can't find a reaction (made of easy-to-get substances) that will create light. I was wondering if anyone knew a reaction that would create light but the substances needed are not hard to get or unusual. My aim is to find a reaction that I can do when I am away and I have few supplies on me.

Cheers.

The Bob (2004 )
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Building the ideal rest stop for protons
Direct reaction heavy atoms to catalyst surface demonstrated
Cagey material acts as alcohol factory
Borek
Mar24-05, 05:24 PM
Admin
P: 23,393
candle + matches

Chemical calculators for labs and education
BATE - pH calculations, titration curves, hydrolisis
dextercioby
Mar24-05, 05:24 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,896
How about burning pure magnesium...?Or white phosphorus?

Daniel.

The Bob
Mar25-05, 12:23 PM
Creating Light

Ok. Here is the next rule (that I thought I was implying). No matches or fire or lighter. It has to be a chemical reaction.

The Bob (2004 )
so-crates
Mar25-05, 01:29 PM
P: 309
sodium (or lithium, potassium, cesium, francium) metal + water
da Booj
Mar25-05, 01:51 PM
P: 2
how easy to get? You could use Luminol + hydrogen peroxide + metal catalyst (iron or copper or...)

or you could find some phenyl oxalate esters

Or buy a few light sticks (cheaper than buying the above from a catalogue). Cut them open on the ends and retain the liquid within. The glass tube inside of the stick will have the peroxide and catalyst in it. Mix and say the magic words...
chroot
Mar25-05, 02:21 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,428
I don't know whether you're trying to do a chemistry experiment, or actually survive an extended bivouac, but I'll tell you the light sources used by two groups of people to whom light is very important: cavers and professional search-and-rescue field team members.

1) Waterproof matches and clothes-dryer lint. These two are used more specifically to start fires than provide light, but fire does both!

2) LED headlamp, with extra batteries.

3) Standard Bic lighter.

4) A couple of chemical lightsticks.

Boring, I know, but all quite functional.

- Warren
The Bob
Mar25-05, 03:34 PM
Quote Quote by chroot
I don't know whether you're trying to do a chemistry experiment, or actually survive an extended bivouac, but I'll tell you the light sources used by two groups of people to whom light is very important: cavers and professional search-and-rescue field team members.
The idea is to surprise some people I have to teach. My idea was to add the chemicals to food (that no one will eat - just to reassure you) or in a glass and for light to be created. I have the equipment you mentioned (minus the chemical glow sticks but they are easy to get) I have. I was simply wondering if there was an reactions (minus the glow stick) that I could use. This is not homework or for my chemistry course but for an affect and my own interest, so an reaction (even if I cannot do it at home) would be interesting to see.

Cheers.

The Bob (2004 )
brewnog
Mar25-05, 08:02 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,794
Bob, you have seen the Glowing Pickle thing right?

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...tructions.html

Just checking!
The Bob
Mar26-05, 06:31 AM
Quote Quote by brewnog
Bob, you have seen the Glowing Pickle thing right?

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...tructions.html

Just checking!
No, I hadn't seen this but it is a lot of equipment to carry. Let me give you a full scenario:

I will be in the woods or an open field. I need to create light. It is Army based training so I need to take the smallest amount of equipment I can. I am leading the training the night before we go out but I want to surprise people with light from what seems to be nothing. I think I will have two spare pockets and maybe a few more on my bag but still I want to take little supplies of the substances that I need to create light.

Has anyone, therefore, got any ideas for how I can do this?? The light needs to last for about 10 minutes (but ideas for longer would be nice).

Cheers.

The Bob (2004 )
so-crates
Mar26-05, 04:50 PM
P: 309
Heres a page with images of the reaction between sodium metal and water :

http://www.pc.chemie.uni-siegen.de/p...h/v44-1-1.html
SaPhZ
Mar26-05, 05:32 PM
P: 2
Where does one get Elemental Sodium?
pack_rat2
Mar26-05, 07:37 PM
P: 183
Try crushing a wintergreen life-saver!...and do a web search on "triboluminescence" for the details of how it works.
gravenewworld
Mar28-05, 10:55 AM
P: 1,405
You are all thinking too hard. Go to the store and buy a glowstick. simple as that.
brewnog
Mar28-05, 11:00 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,794
Quote Quote by gravenewworld
You are all thinking too hard. Go to the store and buy a glowstick.
But, quoth he:

Quote Quote by The Bob
I was simply wondering if there was an reactions (minus the glow stick) that I could use.
gravenewworld
Mar28-05, 11:12 AM
P: 1,405
I guess i read all the posts too fast. My bad
pack_rat2
Mar28-05, 10:55 PM
P: 183
Quote Quote by so-crates
sodium (or lithium, potassium, cesium, francium) metal + water
I don't think you'll find any francium! ;) Li doesn't react too vigorously with H2O (it's a lot like Ca). K & Cs will pretty much produce an explosion with H2O. But if that's all you want, set off some black powder or flash powder!
The Bob
Apr3-05, 12:43 PM
Quote Quote by The Bob
It is Army based training so I need to take the smallest amount of equipment I can.
Can't carry much.

Also (to all the people that have said it), the Group 1 metals would need to be kept in oil and that needs a glass bottle and gloves and tweezers. I need a reaction that will produce light for some time (again, minus the glow stick one). This really is to be impressive as most of the stuff I have to teach is standard and not really exciting and I want to make the lessons more fun to learn than lecture to learn.

Cheers.

The Bob (2004 )

Register to reply