Register to reply

Why do Fruits Contain Juice?

by Captain Morgan
Tags: fruits, juice
Share this thread:
Captain Morgan
Apr17-13, 01:23 AM
P: 3
If a tree wants to reproduce like other organisms, does the juice somehow aid in this process? I understand juice is mostly composed of water, but I'm certain the plant wouldn't expend the energy to create the juice if it was purposeless. Thanks.

I know this is probably a very basic question, by the way.
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Discovery reveals how bacteria distinguish harmful versus helpful viruses
14 detained trying to prevent Faroe Island dolphin hunt
Census: Orca population in Puget Sound falling
fzero
Apr17-13, 02:40 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,602
I think you're mainly asking the question: why are fruits so sweet? The answer is probably that the fruit evolved in such a way to be an attractive, high nutrient food source to aid in seed dispersal via animal ingestion (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seed_di...sal_by_animals).
tiny-tim
Apr17-13, 04:31 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
Hi Captain Morgan! Welcome to PF!

Yes, there wouldn't be fruit if there weren't animals to eat them.

Similarly, there wouldn't be flowers without animals, and there wouldn't be any colour (other than green).

(I remember a Star Trek episode in which they landed on a planet with beautiful flowers, and strangely came to the conclusion that there were no animals on the planet. )

CompuChip
Apr17-13, 05:01 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,300
Why do Fruits Contain Juice?

Quote Quote by tiny-tim View Post
(I remember a Star Trek episode in which they landed on a planet with beautiful flowers, and strangely came to the conclusion that there were no animals on the planet. )
I always suspected that some part of Star Trek was not realistic! Glad I know now which part that was.
Captain Morgan
Apr17-13, 10:52 PM
P: 3
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the reply all.

On an unrelated note, about how often are the "Medical Sciences" section of the forums used? I'm rather interesting in medical biology, so it would seem I'm going to be using both parts of these forums quite a bit. Thanks again.
mazinse
May15-13, 06:25 PM
P: 190
are flowers the end result of fruits, or is it 2 different things
Evo
May15-13, 06:30 PM
Mentor
P: 26,557
Quote Quote by mazinse View Post
are flowers the end result of fruits, or is it 2 different things
When the flower of a fruit tree is pollinated, it will produce a fruit, the flower petals will fall off. Is that what you were asking? Or are you asking if the fruit ripens and produces seeds, that then sprout and grow into trees that eventually produce blooms, which if pollinated, produce fruit?
mazinse
May17-13, 07:02 PM
P: 190
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
When the flower of a fruit tree is pollinated, it will produce a fruit, the flower petals will fall off. Is that what you were asking? Or are you asking if the fruit ripens and produces seeds, that then sprout and grow into trees that eventually produce blooms, which if pollinated, produce fruit?
yeah that cleared things up for me thanks

Register to reply