Register to reply

Zero divided by zero.

by Slicklight
Tags: divided
Share this thread:
Slicklight
Apr18-13, 07:11 PM
P: 1
Please bear with me. This is my first post.

I've put together quickly, with the best logic I could fathom, a solution to the infamous 0/0.

Does 0/0 = 1 and 0 at the same time with respect to 0?

By taking zero and dividing it by zero, you acknowledge that there is, in fact, the 'presence' of more than one zero. So "a zero" divided by "a zero" is also "a zero" no?
So zero isn't actually 'just plain' zero so much as it is... a zero. A single zero. One zero. Get it?

0/0 = 0

But 0 = (1*0)

Hence there are no ones, there is one zero.

1*0 obviously equals zero but... there is 'a'... zero. Presence.

Could someone aid me with my recent confusion/is this question more for a psychology/philosophy/theoretical physics themed site?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
Iranian is first woman to win 'Nobel Prize of maths' (Update)
HallsofIvy
Apr18-13, 07:29 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,503
I see no "mathematics" or "pschology/philosophy/theoretical physics in what you wrote, just a lot of confusion mixed with as little "mysticism" when you talk about "zero isn't actually 'just plain' zero so much as it is... a zero. A single zero. One zero". Or was that just a pun on the different meanings of "one" in English.

I hope you see that a calculation cannot be "0 and 1 at the same time". 0/0, as a single calculation simply doesn't have a value. There are a number of different limits that, if you were to ignore basic rules of limits, would appear to give "0/0" but in fact can give many different limits: [itex]\lim_{x\to 0} x^2/x= 0[/itex], [itex]\lim_{x\to 0} x/x= 1[/itex], [itex]\lim_{x\to 0} ax/x= a[/itex] for any a.
Mark44
Apr18-13, 08:14 PM
Mentor
P: 21,261
Slicklight,
The short answer is that you can't divide by zero. Period.

You have a lot of confusion about zero. Perhaps this post will be helpful: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=530207

Owing to the lack of actual mathematics in your post, I am locking this thread.

Fredrik
Apr23-13, 06:29 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,355
Zero divided by zero.

Quote Quote by Slicklight View Post
By taking zero and dividing it by zero, you acknowledge that there is, in fact, the 'presence' of more than one zero.
No, there's only one. The way to see this is to consider what happens if there are two zeros, let's call them 0 and 0'. We would have 0'=0'0=0. So the two zeros are the same.

Quote Quote by Slicklight View Post
So zero isn't actually 'just plain' zero so much as it is... a zero. A single zero. One zero. Get it?
Not at all.

Register to reply