Solving the Supersonic Speed Problem in Physics

• Thread starter Schalchlin05
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supersonic
In summary: MACH 4.0 and even as high as MACH 4.8.In summary, the SR-71 Blackbird was able to fly at Mach 3.8 and had a top speed of 3.3+.
Schalchlin05
I really have no idea what category this type of question goes in. I'm actually a senior in high school but I think this may be a college level question because I'm in the highest level physics class my school offers and the teacher doesn't know how to do it. I saw it on a UIL test for science. It said that this bird could somehow fly at mach 3.8..what angle does the supersonic wave (i think that's what it called it) come off at? If anyone knows how to explain the solution to this problem please do. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The sine of the Mach angle is equal to the reciprocal of the Mach number...

Was the 'bird' made by Lockheed perchance?

thanx a lot...and I'm not sure if it was or not

Thats a quick freaking bird.

Schalchlin05 said:
I really have no idea what category this type of question goes in. I'm actually a senior in high school but I think this may be a college level question because I'm in the highest level physics class my school offers and the teacher doesn't know how to do it. I saw it on a UIL test for science. It said that this bird could somehow fly at mach 3.8..what angle does the supersonic wave (i think that's what it called it) come off at? If anyone knows how to explain the solution to this problem please do. Thank you.

The angle to what Nenad has referred as [tex] sin\theta=M^{-1}[/tex] is what you are looking for. To add something, that angle is the angle formed by a weak shock wave far away from the body (at the order of ten times the characteristic length of the body). This wave is the so-called Mach Wave. It is named as a Weak Wave because behind it the flow remains supersonic. At very short distances of the body nose, the proper form of the surface enhances a Bow Shock, which has a variable [tex] \theta[/tex] because the Mach Number varies behind it from subsonic to supersonic at larger distances.

I would say that the angle is more like a radius, but at the front of the aircraft it is a flat perpendicular at which it forms the radius. This is called the doppler effect and shock wave.
Like a point on the inside surface of a ball.
See this link- http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/sound/u11l3b.cfm

As far as the speed limit of the SR-71 Blackbird. The aircraft has no speed limit.
People say, how can this be? But can you understand how the SR-71 can get better fuel mileage the faster it goes?

The SR-71's "speed limit" is actually limited by temperature. Which is 427 degrees "C" at the propulsion systems Inlets.

These are called-
Axisymmetric Supersonic Variable Geometry Inlets

The conical tip in front of the engines are called the "spike". The spike moves forward and aft within the nacelle opening.
Some people think, that as the spike moves aft the opening gets larger. This is not exactly true.

A simplistic explanation-
What happens is, the very front of the opening gets bigger but the area inside actually gets smaller. The position of the spike controls the position of the super sonic shock wave of air pressure entering the nacelle. "SHOCK TRAP Bleed". The forward by-pass doors help stabilize and maintain the sub-sonic air pressure entering the front of the engine.

The jet engine itself P&W J58 is a turbo by pass whereas unneeded air is by-passed around the engine through the nacelle and back to the ejectors afterburner.

What this does is give higher volumes of air at altitudes where little air exist.
The reason why the SR gets better fuel mileage the faster it goes, is because at those altitudes the air is so thin that there is less drag on the aircraft and the inlets create air pressures at better than sea level.

The SR's speed is limited not by power but by temperature. As speed increases so does the temperature and when these alloys heat up bad things start to happen. They start to expand, warp, and buckle. their characteristics start to change and weaken. The SR crews were not to let inlet temperatures exceed 427 degrees C.

The aircraft's temperature during high MACH at altitude are dynamic due to external air temperatures and density. Although it may be very cold, like -70 the little air that does exist heats up the airframe to over 1000 degrees.

Official speed records were set by the SR-71 on a few different occasions. An official top speed was achieved at 2190 mph. These are tightly controlled closed course records where the the aircraft had to slow way down in order to refuel.

UN-official speeds were reported at MACH 3.5 during evasive maneuvers from missile attacks. It was also reported that the faster it flew the smoother the ride and the pilot felt like it could go much faster. It has been said "theoretically" the aircraft could go MACH 6 in a dash.

1. What is the supersonic speed problem in physics?

The supersonic speed problem in physics refers to the difficulty in designing and engineering aircrafts that can travel at speeds faster than the speed of sound. This presents a challenge as the physics of supersonic speeds can cause structural integrity and aerodynamic issues, making it difficult to produce safe and efficient supersonic aircrafts.

2. Why is solving the supersonic speed problem important?

Solving the supersonic speed problem is important for several reasons. First, it can lead to the development of faster and more efficient modes of transportation, which can have a significant impact on industries such as aviation and space exploration. Additionally, overcoming this problem can improve our understanding of aerodynamics and fluid dynamics, which has broader implications for various fields of science and engineering.

3. What are some current solutions being explored to solve the supersonic speed problem?

Some current solutions being explored to solve the supersonic speed problem include using advanced computational modeling and simulation techniques to better understand the physics involved, as well as developing new materials and designs that can withstand the stresses of supersonic speeds. Other approaches include using alternative propulsion systems, such as scramjets, and implementing innovative aerodynamic designs.

4. Is it possible to achieve supersonic speeds without causing sonic booms?

Yes, it is possible to achieve supersonic speeds without causing sonic booms. This can be achieved through various techniques such as using specially designed aircraft shapes and implementing technologies like active flow control to reduce the intensity of the shockwaves created by supersonic flight. However, completely eliminating sonic booms may not be feasible, but efforts are being made to minimize their impact.

5. How close are we to solving the supersonic speed problem?

Significant progress has been made in solving the supersonic speed problem, but there is still more work to be done. While some supersonic aircrafts have been successfully developed and flown, there are still challenges to overcome in terms of safety, efficiency, and sustainability. Ongoing research and advancements in technology are bringing us closer to a viable solution, but it may still take some time before we can achieve supersonic speeds on a larger scale.