Fourier transform for beginners?

In summary, the conversation is about the understanding of Fourier transform and the need for a beginner-friendly book on the subject. It is mentioned that the language of physics is mathematical and the Fourier transform involves finding the integral of a function. It is also suggested to start by finding the Fourier transform of a simple function.
Abigale
Hallo,

I really don't understand Fourier transform.
Do somebody know a good book for beginners?
Something like Fourier transform for dummies or so?

I need it just for physics.
So it don't have to be to mathematical. ^^
THX

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid it has to be mathematical: the language of physics is maths.

The Fourier transform is just this:

##F(\nu)## is the Fourier transform of ##f(t)## if $$F(\nu) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(t)e^{-2\pi i\nu t}dt$$

That's it!

The rest is exploring the consequences.
You should start by finding the Fourier transform of ##f(t)=A\sin\omega t## ... I'm afraid you just have to do the math until you get it.

In a nutshell - you know how any function can be written as a sum of sine waves?
The Fourier transform is part of that.

1. What is a Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a complex signal into its individual frequency components. It allows us to analyze a signal in terms of its frequency content, which is useful in many applications such as signal processing, image processing, and data compression.

2. How does a Fourier transform work?

A Fourier transform works by taking a signal in the time domain and converting it into a representation in the frequency domain. This is achieved by decomposing the signal into a sum of sinusoidal waves with different frequencies, amplitudes, and phases. The result is a spectrum that shows the contribution of each frequency component in the original signal.

3. What is the difference between a Fourier transform and a Fourier series?

A Fourier transform is used for continuous signals, while a Fourier series is used for discrete signals. In other words, a Fourier transform is used for signals that are defined over a continuous range of time or space, while a Fourier series is used for signals that are defined at specific points in time or space.

4. What is the importance of Fourier transform in science?

Fourier transform is an essential tool in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows us to analyze signals and data in terms of their frequency components, which can provide valuable insights and aid in understanding complex systems. It also has practical applications in fields such as image and signal processing, communications, and data compression.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a Fourier transform?

While the Fourier transform is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the signal being analyzed is stationary, meaning that its properties do not change over time. This may not be true for all signals. Additionally, the Fourier transform only captures the frequency content of a signal and does not provide information about the time or spatial location of the frequencies. This can be a drawback in certain applications where this information is important.