Source-free 2nd order lin. circuit

by EvLer
Tags: circuit, order, sourcefree
Share this thread:
EvLer
Mar26-05, 10:19 AM
P: 460
RLC second order linear network question:
So, we are given this equation which is the same for Vc(t) and iL(t) expressed as x(t):

2nd deriv of x(t) + R/L(1st deriv of x(t)) + 1/(LC)(x(t)) = 0;

And in one of the problems it asks to find both equation for the Vc(t) and iL(t) for t < 0, and now I am confused, it seems to me that they are the same, since the solution is the same for both of them:

aS^2 + bS + c = 0;
because the coefficients are the same from differential equation, so there are the same roots for Vc(t) and iL(t), and roots are w/t imaginary part, just reals.
Am I wrong?

Thanks a lot.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Andrew Mason
Mar28-05, 12:55 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,654
Quote Quote by EvLer
RLC second order linear network question:
So, we are given this equation which is the same for Vc(t) and iL(t) expressed as x(t):

2nd deriv of x(t) + R/L(1st deriv of x(t)) + 1/(LC)(x(t)) = 0;
I am not sure I understand what you are asking exactly, but perhaps this will help.

An LC circuit with resistance is simply a damped harmonic oscillator. The differential equation:

[tex]L\ddot x(t) + R\dot x(t) + \frac{1}{C}x(t) = 0[/tex]

has the general solution:

[tex]x = A_0e^{-\gamma t}sin(\omega t+\phi)[/tex]

where [itex]\omega^2 = \omega_0^2 - \gamma^2[/itex] and
[itex]\omega_0^2 = 1/LC[/itex] and
[itex]\gamma = R/2L[/itex]

The relationship between V and I in an RLC circuit is:

[tex]V = IZ[/tex] where is the impedance: [itex]Z^2 = R^2 + (\omega L - 1/\omega C)^2[/itex]

AM

Register to reply