Water entering in the container while at 30m depth

In summary, if you have a small leak in your waterproof container and let it sit underwater for a long time, the pressure may build up to a dangerous level. It is best to operate your waterproof container at ambient pressure rather than at the static 3 Bar excess pressure that it is designed to handle.
biflora
Hi,

It may not be the best title chosen but here is the question. If I have one container that has two compartments, one has a battery pack built from several alkaline cells and the second compartment has some pcb, wiring etc. The two compartments are separated each other with a plug, no communication port between the two. My container is supposed to be waterproof. If I drop this container in the water at 30m depth and water enters in the battery compartment, do I expect to have pressure built up in the unit when brought to the surface ? When the container is opened up, is there a safety hazard because of this possible pressure building in the unit ? There should be no chemical reaction between alkaline batteries and salt water that builds up gases ( I think). Thanks for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally speaking, if the water can get in, the water can get out too. I don't see how you'd have a buildup of pressure in a container that isn't airtight, or even watertight for that matter. That said, it's always possible, if you had a slow leak, left the container underwater a long time, and then brought it back up quickly, the compartment would still be pressurized.

Off the top of my head, I think that's about 4atm of pressure you're dealing with, so it isn't insignificant.

FireStorm000 said:
Generally speaking, if the water can get in, the water can get out too. I don't see how you'd have a buildup of pressure in a container that isn't airtight, or even watertight for that matter. That said, it's always possible, if you had a slow leak, left the container underwater a long time, and then brought it back up quickly, the compartment would still be pressurized.

Off the top of my head, I think that's about 4atm of pressure you're dealing with, so it isn't insignificant.

If there's a small leak, working over a long time, then the container could end up 3/4 full of water and a rapid depressurisation could be a problem. If you make the container big enough then that need not be an embarrassment and it may be best to operate at ambient pressure, rather than at 1 Bar. You could always keep the batteries in a waterproof bag inside the container - again with a large surplus of air in it - about four times the total air volume of all the small spaces between and around the batteries, so the bag will not rupture.
You need to be you sure that the gland which takes the cables from the battery into the sealed electronics box can withstand the 3 Bar excess pressure but that shouldn't be a problem (i.e. fairly cheap). 30m is not very excessive.
It may be worth pointing out that the maximum dynamic pressure you may need to deal with may be somewhat higher than just the 3 Bar static excess (all watch manufacturers point this out when warning about the 'real' depth that their 30m 'waterproof' watches can handle).

What causes water to enter a container at 30m depth?

The main cause of water entering a container at 30m depth is pressure. As the depth increases, the pressure of the water also increases. This can force water to enter any openings or cracks in the container, even if it is sealed.

Why does water enter a container at 30m depth but not at the surface?

Water enters a container at 30m depth because of the increased pressure, which is not present at the surface. At the surface, the pressure is equalized and there is no force pushing the water into the container.

Can water enter a container at 30m depth even if it is sealed?

Yes, water can still enter a sealed container at 30m depth due to the immense pressure. Even a tiny opening or crack can allow water to enter, especially if the container is not designed to withstand high pressures.

How can the entry of water at 30m depth be prevented?

To prevent water from entering a container at 30m depth, it is important to use materials that can withstand high pressures and to ensure that all openings and seals are secure. Additionally, using a container with a higher density than water can help prevent water from entering.

Is the entry of water at 30m depth dangerous?

The entry of water at 30m depth can be dangerous if the container is not designed to withstand high pressures. This can result in the container breaking or collapsing, potentially causing harm to nearby objects or individuals. It is important to take proper precautions when using containers at high depths to avoid any potential dangers.