Describing an odd/even series

• Thread starter Big-Daddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of c in terms of n. Different values of n and c are given, and the issue is how to remove an extra 0.25 for odd values of n. A proposed solution is c=(n^2/4)+(b)n*0.25, with b evaluating to -1 for odd n and 0 for even n. Another suggested solution is -(\frac{1+(-1)^{n+1}}{8}). Ultimately, the issue is resolved.
Big-Daddy
I hope the title is not too confusing. I couldn't think how to summarize this problem.

If n=2, c=2 (sum of 1+1)
If n=3, c=3 (sum of 1+1+1)
If n=4, c=5 (sum of 1+2+1+1)
If n=5, c=7 (sum of 1+2+2+1+1)
If n=6, c=10 (sum of 1+2+3+2+1+1)

My issue is, what is c in terms of n?

So far I've had an idea:

I could propose c=(n2/4)+1, but now I need some way of removing the extra 0.25 that crops up for all odd values of n. What I need now is a little piece which =-0.25 if n is odd and =0 if n is even.

Since (-1)n=-1 if n is odd and 0n=0, I would appreciate a function b of n such that c=(n2/4)+(b)n*0.25. b would evaluate to -1 if n is odd and 0 if n is even.

Alternatively any solution would be welcomed!

Edit: I've solved it, don't worry. [SOLVED]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Big-Daddy said:
What I need now is a little piece which =-0.25 if n is odd and =0 if n is even.

How about [itex]-(\frac{1+(-1)^{n+1}}{8})[/itex]

1. What is an odd/even series?

An odd/even series is a sequence of numbers where the pattern alternates between odd and even numbers. For example, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 would be an odd/even series.

2. How do you describe an odd/even series?

To describe an odd/even series, you would mention the pattern of alternating odd and even numbers. You may also mention the starting number and the increment between each number.

3. What is the formula for an odd/even series?

The formula for an odd/even series is (starting number) + (increment * n), where n is the position of the number in the series. For example, in the series 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, the starting number is 1 and the increment is 1.

4. How do you determine if a number is odd or even in an odd/even series?

In an odd/even series, the odd numbers will have a remainder of 1 when divided by 2, and the even numbers will have a remainder of 0 when divided by 2. Alternatively, you can also look for the pattern of odd and even numbers in the series.

5. How can an odd/even series be used in scientific research?

An odd/even series can be used in scientific research to analyze and predict patterns in data. It can also be used to test mathematical models and theories. Additionally, it can be used in experiments to control for potential confounding variables.