Prove that the set of those $c$ is countable

• Thread starter zeraoulia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the mean values theorem states that there exists a value c between u and v such that the difference between f(v) and f(u) is equal to the derivative of f at c multiplied by (v-u). If u is a root of f and f is a non-zero analytic function on the real line, the set of values c between u and v is countable. This is because the left side of the equation, f'(c)(v-u)-f(v), is an analytic function in c and not identically zero unless f is linear. It is well known that any non-zero analytic function has countable zeroes, as proven by the fact that the set of zeroes is isolated and can be associated with a set of
zeraoulia
The **mean values theorem** says that there exists a $c∈(u,v)$ such that $$f(v)-f(u)=f′(c)(v-u)$$ My question is: Assume that $u$ is a root of $f$, hence we obtain $$f(v)=f′(c)(v-u)$$ Assume that $f$ is a non-zero analytic function in the whole real line. My interest is about the real $c∈(u,v)$. I believe that the set of those $c$ is contable, otherwise we conclud that $f′(c)$ is constant (in an open set containing $c$) since $v$ is a constant and hence $f$ is identically zero. Also, I think that the set of those $c$ is countable (for analytic functions) but I am not able to prove that.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For all c that satisfy that equation, [itex] f'(c)(v-u)-f(v)=0 [/itex]. The LHS is an analytic function in c (v and u are constant) and is not identically zero unless f is linear. That any non-zero analytic function has countable zeroes is well known. (http://planetmath.org/ZeroesOfAnalyticFunctionsAreIsolated is a proof for complex functions, but the idea is the same)

Edit: My link only proves that the zeroes are isolated. Here is how you would show that the set of zeroes in countable: Let a be a zero. If all other zeroes are separated from a by at least ε, let q be a rational number which is no more than ε/3 away from a. Each rational number can be associated with a zero in this way. The cardinality of the set of zeroes is the same as for this set of rational numbers and rational numbers are countable.

Last edited:
Type ## instead of $.

1. How do you prove that a set is countable?

To prove that a set is countable, you must show that there exists a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the set and the natural numbers. This can be done by either explicitly constructing a bijection or by showing that the set can be listed in a specific order.

2. What does it mean for a set to be countable?

A countable set is one that can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers. This means that each element in the set can be assigned a unique natural number, and every natural number corresponds to exactly one element in the set.

3. What is an example of a countable set?

An example of a countable set is the set of positive even numbers, {2, 4, 6, 8, ...}. Each even number can be paired with a unique natural number (e.g. 2 is paired with 1, 4 is paired with 2, etc.), fulfilling the definition of a countable set.

4. Can a countable set be infinite?

Yes, a countable set can be infinite. This means that even though the set has an infinite number of elements, those elements can still be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers.

5. How is the countability of a set related to its cardinality?

The countability of a set is related to its cardinality in that a countable set has a cardinality of aleph-null (ℵ0). This means that a countable set has the same cardinality as the set of natural numbers, which is the smallest possible infinite cardinality.