Register to reply

Prove that the set of those $c$ is countable

by zeraoulia
Tags: analytic function, real and complex
Share this thread:
zeraoulia
Apr27-13, 12:35 PM
P: 12
The **mean values theorem** says that there exists a $c∈(u,v)$ such that $$f(v)-f(u)=f′(c)(v-u)$$ My question is: Assume that $u$ is a root of $f$, hence we obtain $$f(v)=f′(c)(v-u)$$ Assume that $f$ is a non-zero analytic function in the whole real line. My interest is about the real $c∈(u,v)$. I believe that the set of those $c$ is contable, otherwise we conclud that $f′(c)$ is constant (in an open set containing $c$) since $v$ is a constant and hence $f$ is identically zero. Also, I think that the set of those $c$ is countable (for analytic functions) but I am not able to prove that.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
HS-Scientist
Apr27-13, 01:18 PM
P: 183
For all c that satisfy that equation, [itex] f'(c)(v-u)-f(v)=0 [/itex]. The LHS is an analytic function in c (v and u are constant) and is not identically zero unless f is linear. That any non-zero analytic function has countable zeroes is well known. (http://planetmath.org/ZeroesOfAnalyt...onsAreIsolated is a proof for complex functions, but the idea is the same)

Edit: My link only proves that the zeroes are isolated. Here is how you would show that the set of zeroes in countable: Let a be a zero. If all other zeroes are separated from a by at least ε, let q be a rational number which is no more than ε/3 away from a. Each rational number can be associated with a zero in this way. The cardinality of the set of zeroes is the same as for this set of rational numbers and rational numbers are countable.
Fredrik
Apr28-13, 01:44 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,415
Type ## instead of $.

Register to reply