Register to reply

What happens if you go faster than light?

by mathlete
Tags: faster, light
Share this thread:
mathlete
Mar27-05, 07:37 PM
P: 151
Let's say you are in water where light travels at a speed of [tex]\frac{c}{n_w}[/tex] where [tex]n_w = 1.5[/tex] and you travel faster than this speed - what happens? What do you see?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
What is Nothing?
How computing is transforming materials science research
whozum
Mar27-05, 07:47 PM
P: 2,218
The laws of the speed of light apply to any medium, not just vacuum. If the speed of light were 1m/s in a certain material, that speed would be unattainable in that same medium.
ZapperZ
Mar27-05, 07:57 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,238
Quote Quote by whozum
The laws of the speed of light apply to any medium, not just vacuum. If the speed of light were 1m/s in a certain material, that speed would be unattainable in that same medium.
Yes, it can. That's the whole principle behind the Cerenkov radiation - charged particles moving in a medium at a faster velocity than light in that medium. Huge detectors are used to detect neutrinos this way.

Zz.

Mar27-05, 08:15 PM
P: 166
What happens if you go faster than light?

you will die, no seriously, you will. you will be of infinite weight and will require infinite energy to move, and will die. talk about letting yourself go. it is impossible to go faster than light, no matter what (unless you are a universe that just happens to be expanding, then, i read, it is possible. i don't know exactly how, but i will trust my reading skills

Fibonacci
ZapperZ
Mar27-05, 08:20 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,238
Quote Quote by 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21
you will die, no seriously, you will. you will be of infinite weight and will require infinite energy to move, and will die. talk about letting yourself go. it is impossible to go faster than light, no matter what (unless you are a universe that just happens to be expanding, then, i read, it is possible. i don't know exactly how, but i will trust my reading skills

Fibonacci
This is a faulty application of relativistic mass. Take a look at how it is applied with respect to ANOTHER observer. Pay attention to the fact that a person does NOT see his/her mass increasing since he/she is always in the same proper frame and does not observe his/her mass moving.

Zz.
Mar27-05, 08:33 PM
P: 166
Quote Quote by ZapperZ
This is a faulty application of relativistic mass. Take a look at how it is applied with respect to ANOTHER observer. Pay attention to the fact that a person does NOT see his/her mass increasing since he/she is always in the same proper frame and does not observe his/her mass moving.

Zz.
you didn't get that 'physics guru' for nothing, did you Zz.

Fibonacci
chroot
Mar27-05, 09:44 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
Fibonacci,

Please refrain from responding to question unless you are quite sure you are giving a correct answer.

- Warren
whozum
Mar27-05, 11:17 PM
Quote Quote by ZapperZ
Yes, it can. That's the whole principle behind the Cerenkov radiation - charged particles moving in a medium at a faster velocity than light in that medium. Huge detectors are used to detect neutrinos this way.

Zz.
Isn't that more of an exception than the rule?
aek
Mar27-05, 11:22 PM
P: 82
offcourse it's an exception
whozum
Mar27-05, 11:24 PM
Then my answer to the OP is more or less correct. :D
chroot
Mar27-05, 11:27 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by whozum
Then my answer to the OP is more or less correct. :D
No, it wasn't. It was completely wrong.

- Warren
whozum
Mar27-05, 11:31 PM
Care to explain why?
chroot
Mar27-05, 11:32 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
You said that objects cannot exceed the speed of light in a medium. That is completely false.

- Warren
whozum
Mar27-05, 11:35 PM
Wont argue with you. How do objects go faster than the speed of light in a medium?
KingNothing
Mar28-05, 12:05 AM
P: 949
By covering a greater distance in the same amount of time. I suspect you are looking for a good reason why they 'can'. Well, there is simply nothing that prevents something (often an electron) from doing so. Laws of physics are generally written according to what restricts movement or any other characteristic. It's just the way we interpret them - if it's not restricted to move a certain way, then it can.

Cerenkov radiation does not need to be explained here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerenkov_effect
and scroll to "Physical Origins"
whozum
Mar28-05, 12:35 AM
Isn't it restricted by the same reasons its restricted in vacuum?
chroot
Mar28-05, 01:46 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
whozum,

No. The speed of light in vacuum is a universal 'speed limit,' but the speed of light in an arbitrary medium is not.

- Warren
hemmul
Mar28-05, 04:16 AM
P: n/a
Quote Quote by whozum
Isn't it restricted by the same reasons its restricted in vacuum?
"in our world" there exists a universal speed limit c. From the Maxwell's equations we see that in vacuum light wave propagates with c. In the media this velocity is reduced due to existing wave impedance, but this doesn't mean that a universal constant is changed ;) just the EM wave propagates slower.

Register to reply