Length of a conductor vs. Resistance

by yeveat
Tags: conductor, length, resistance
yeveat
May2-13, 10:17 PM
P: 4
so i plotted a graph for length of a conductor vs. the resistance to the corresponding the lengths. i observed two "peaks" on the graph. Im not sure how to explain it but it's definitely not a linear relationship. It's like a bunny bouncing diagonally toward toward +y and +x (But there are two bounces) it looks like ")" but its sideways with the peak at the top and there are two of them connected diagonally.. im sorry if im not explaining this well, but im just so confused. why is this happening?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Mapping the road to quantum gravity
Chameleon crystals could enable active camouflage (w/ video)
leinadle
May3-13, 12:00 AM
P: 15
What is the source of your data?
yeveat
May3-13, 11:50 AM
P: 4
im doing a play doh conductivity lab and i plotted different lengths of Play Doh vs. corresponding resistance to the lengths. i just dont know how to analyze the graph. I cant figure out how to post my graphs on here so im posting a link of a picture that look similar to this.

http://img.springerimages.com/Images..._Fig3_HTML.jpg

see how there are two "leaps"? thats how it is like for mine.

lightarrow
May3-13, 12:12 PM
P: 1,504

Length of a conductor vs. Resistance

Don't know what's a "Play Doh" but data are meaningless in the absence of an approximate evaluation of their errors. Wich is the precision of measure of lenght and of resistance? Are you completely sure that the section of the body doesn't vary at all along its lenght? And what about its chemical composition? It's an alloy or a semiconductor or what else? Its shape? How exactly does the apparatus measures the resistance?
Redbelly98
May3-13, 06:33 PM
Mentor
P: 11,989
Your data sure looks linear to me.

If you're wondering why it isn't perfectly linear, it's because this is experimental data. :-)

EDIT added:
One possibility is that the cross-sectional area of the Play-Doh was not consistent for the different samples.

Register to reply