Crushing Multiple Cans

by Dan32
Tags: cans, crushing, multiple
Dan32
May28-13, 07:03 AM
P: 3
This is possibly a very silly question, I am not experienced in this field.

I am creating a Can Crusher for a project.

If it takes 8n to crush a can. Will it still take 8n to crush multiple cans joined together end by end?
Also, if multiple cans were being crushed on a platform, against another platform. Lets say, 4 cans on the platform side by side, all vertical. Will it take 8n to crush all 4 cans side by side?

Thanks,
Dan.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Review: With Galaxy S5, Samsung proves less can be more
Making graphene in your kitchen
Study casts doubt on climate benefit of biofuels from corn residue
timthereaper
May28-13, 11:44 AM
P: 341
Have you tried doing a free-body diagram of the forces on the cans in both configurations?
berkeman
May28-13, 05:36 PM
Mentor
P: 39,648
Quote Quote by Dan32 View Post
This is possibly a very silly question, I am not experienced in this field.

I am creating a Can Crusher for a project.

If it takes 8n to crush a can. Will it still take 8n to crush multiple cans joined together end by end?
Also, if multiple cans were being crushed on a platform, against another platform. Lets say, 4 cans on the platform side by side, all vertical. Will it take 8n to crush all 4 cans side by side?

Thanks,
Dan.
Tim's hint is good for your question. In addition, though, on a project optimization issue, are you just pushing down on the cans to crush them, or are you doing something else first to lower the force (significantly) needed to crush the can?

Dan32
May31-13, 09:27 AM
P: 3

Crushing Multiple Cans

Is this correct? So no matter how many rows or columns long, It will crush them all?

Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
are you just pushing down on the cans to crush them, or are you doing something else first to lower the force (significantly) needed to crush the can?
Originally, I designed it to crush the cans at an angle, to encourage the cans to buckle easier. However, It is much more efficient and easier to crush multiple cans at once.

Thanks for the help
etudiant
May31-13, 07:18 PM
PF Gold
P: 849
Surely each column has the 8N crush strength, so multiple columns will require multiple times 8N to crush reliably. Obviously there could be uneven stacking, so one column is carrying the load for a bit, but once the load is shared, 8N will not do the job.

Register to reply