Diffusion of a species through a sphere

by chatoma
Tags: diffusion, species, sphere
chatoma
Jun20-13, 12:12 AM
P: 1
Hi guys,

This is my first post here, this place looks like a great resource. Well, jumping straight in, I have a couple of questions on diffusion.

At work, I did a couple of experiments with Ion Exchange Resins. Not getting the results we wanted, my boss asked me to do an analysis of diffusion in two scenarios: through a simple "plate" (in 1 dimension), and through a sphere (in 3 dimensions).

Now, I am a Chem Eng, so this should be easy, but I have found myself struggling way more than I should with this topic; its a bit embarrassing at this point. For the first scenario, I used Ficks First Law, and I think that process was rather straightforward.

However, for the second scenario, I am completely stuck. So basically, I'm looking at diffusion in 3 dimensions; from the center of the sphere and to the outside. I don't think I need to complicate myself too much with technical details, so I'm assuming steady-state and I want to use Fick's First Law again. As I understand it, for 3 dimensions, Fick's Law is: J = -D∇C (where J=Diffusive flux, D=Diffusion Constant, C=Concentrations).

Now if I'm correct, this would work out as: J = -D(∂C/∂x + ∂C/∂y + ∂C/∂z). Would you guys agree, thus far, I am on the right track? If so, now the embarrassing part is that I'm not sure what to do next. That means, I'm not sure how to solve for J. Also, I was going through some reading material, and I saw that using spherical coordinates might make my life easier; is that correct?

Although its been two years, I can't believe I've forgotten so much about mass transfer...I'm actually kind of glad I'm getting these assignments so that I can brush up on this essential stuff. But anyways, any help is appreciated, and any clarifications/questions, I'll try to answer them in a timely fashion. Thanks!

chatoma
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
New ultrasound device may add in detecting risk for heart attack, stroke
Enhanced ground control system and software for small unmanned aircraft
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
mfb
Jun20-13, 11:07 AM
Mentor
P: 10,864
That means, I'm not sure how to solve for J.
The equation is solved for J.

If you have a spherical symmetry, spherical coordinates are better, indeed.

Register to reply