Troubleshooting Axe026 Serial Programming Cord Issues

In summary, the serial converter you are using is not compatible with your Picaxe, and you may need a different converter if you want to use the axe026 with your Picaxe.
Tesladude
SO I ordered the axe026 serial preograming cord to use with my picaxe 08m2.
To plug it into the usb I am useing a usb to serial converter. But it's not working at all! I know my program is right but do I need a special driver? I downloaded the driver for the 026 AND 027, neither are working

Attachments

• 100_2200.jpg
    100_2200.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 340
  • 100_2199.jpg
    100_2199.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 338
  • 100_2197.jpg
    100_2197.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 340
Engineering news on Phys.org
Tesladude said:
SO I ordered the axe026 serial preograming cord to use with my picaxe 08m2.
To plug it into the usb I am useing a usb to serial converter. But it's not working at all! I know my program is right but do I need a special driver? I downloaded the driver for the 026 AND 027, neither are working

Why are you using a USB-Serial converter? Can you just use straight USB connectivity?

Well i can't plug a female serial cord into a female usb jack if that's what you mean.
which I don't think it is so please elaborate.

Tesladude said:
Well i can't plug a female serial cord into a female usb jack if that's what you mean.
which I don't think it is so please elaborate.

Ah, I see now. Your laptop has USB ports but no DB-9 serial port, right? I've had similar issues trying to convert from USB to serial, and I think it depends on the quality of the converter unit. Do you know anybody else who has been able to get this to work? You could try borrowing their converter to be sure the rest of your setup is working. (And then maybe buy whatever brand of converter they are using)

I live in a Hic town. I am the only one who does this for miles, so I am completely alone here. But the whole adaptor
method should be working? I even read on a data sheet or somthing that this can be done. You have done it?

I use serial to USB converters daily, right now there are 2 connected to this computer. It is dependent upon the converter. I thought that they had worked out the issues, I know that 4 or 5 years ago it was a real crap shoot if you could communicate or not.

Some other things to check, make sure that you have your serial parameters right, that is baud rate and bit structure, check the documentation for your device. If you do not have the baud rate right the best you will get is garbage the worst nothing . Good luck

its got a little better in recent years, but its still a little bit of a guessing game
some will work well for some applications and not for others and visa versa
I still regularly see on other electronics forums people moaning about these problems
and the best you can do is spend a few $$ and try several different brands till you find one that works

a comment from another forum...

buy one based on prolific chipset. I bought one for $20.00 from local Fry's electronics store (outpost on east coast). If not marked on the package, prolific-based devices usually have the following advertisement blah-blah: "high speed up to 1 Mbps, support wake-up function, etc

Dave

Last edited:

What is an Axe026 Serial Programming Cord?

An Axe026 Serial Programming Cord is a type of cable used to transfer data between a computer and a device, typically used for programming microcontrollers or other electronic devices.

Why is troubleshooting necessary for Axe026 Serial Programming Cord issues?

Troubleshooting is necessary for Axe026 Serial Programming Cord issues because these cords can experience connectivity problems, hardware malfunctions, or software compatibility issues that can prevent them from properly communicating with the device.

What are some common issues that can occur with Axe026 Serial Programming Cords?

Common issues that can occur with Axe026 Serial Programming Cords include loose connections, damaged cables, incorrect drivers or settings, and compatibility issues with the device or programming software.

How can I troubleshoot Axe026 Serial Programming Cord issues?

To troubleshoot Axe026 Serial Programming Cord issues, you can check for loose connections, try using a different cable or device, update drivers and software, and check for compatibility issues. You can also consult the manufacturer's instructions or seek assistance from a technical expert.

Can Axe026 Serial Programming Cord issues be fixed?

In most cases, Axe026 Serial Programming Cord issues can be fixed by identifying and addressing the underlying problem. However, if the cord is damaged beyond repair, a replacement may be necessary.