Register to reply

End Plate Design For a Heat Exchanger

Share this thread:
cpizzleo
Jun25-13, 10:16 AM
P: 1
I am currently in the process of designing an end-plate for a heat exchanger. I know I can do what I am about to ask with FEA, but that is not feasible right now. Here are the design parameters:
Shell and tube HX, Max operating Temp=1100 F, 59 1" SS 304 Tubes, staggered pattern, 12" Shell OD (The tubes occupy 43% of the end-plate area; in other words, (# of Tubes*Dt^2)/Ds^2=.43). I found that the end-plates modulus of elasticity can be assumed to be 13% as a perforated plate with this design.

The ends of the tubes will be welded onto the end-plate which will be welded to the inside of the shell. I am concerned that the stresses on the end-plate due to thermal expansion of the pipe will lead to failure, so I am trying to find an appropriate thickness for the endplate. I did find a few good sites. One of which is:
http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tabl...cs/Plates.html.
The problem is I have holes that are not in the center of the end plate.

Also, I was thinking an "outside the box" solution would be to preheat the tubes when welding them to the end-plate.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers use 3D printers to create custom medical implants
For secure software: X-rays instead of passport control
Razor-sharp TV pictures
nvn
Jul5-13, 09:30 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,124
cpizzleo: I do not foresee someone solving this problem without using FEA. Each tube will apply a different force to the end plate based on tube location (radius) from the end plate center, and based on end plate thickness (stiffness).
Baluncore
Aug4-13, 03:08 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 1,897
Maybe a sensible solution would be to put a slight bend, (or spiral), in every tube. That would convert the very high axial stress during operation into a much lower tube bending stress. End plate specifications could then be considerably relaxed.

Register to reply