Can subatomic particles be considered monopoles?

• Thread starter nst.john
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of charge and how it relates to subatomic particles. The speaker suggests that reading up on the basics of particle physics would be beneficial before making any speculations. They also mention that protons are composed of three quarks and that free electrons have a spherically symmetric charge. The conversation concludes by stating that natural magnetic monopoles have not been observed.
nst.john
For a while I've been thinking "what is charge?"and I've looked in many sites and did not find much but me and another person concluded that maybe subatomic particles (protons and electron)act as single moving north or south poles. I might be completely wrong I'm new at physics but it was just an idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

I might suggest that prior to starting your conjectures, you read up on some of the basics about particle physics. That will place you on a better track. You will quickly find that speculation is unnecessary in areas in which thousands of professional physicists have already walked. You and I get to step on the backs of these greats.

In the case you mention: protons are not fundamental particles. They are in fact composed of 3 quarks: 2 ups and a down. Ups have charge of 2/3, and a Down has a charge of -1/3. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton

In addition, free electron charge is spherically symmetric. Therefore it cannot be a monopole.

Electrons can be considered electric monopoles for every theoretical consideration I've seen.

We haven't seen a natural magnetic monopole.

1. What are monopoles?

Monopoles are hypothetical particles that carry only one type of magnetic charge, either positive or negative. In contrast, all known magnetic particles, such as electrons and protons, have both positive and negative magnetic charges.

2. Can subatomic particles be considered monopoles?

No, there is currently no evidence to support the existence of monopoles in subatomic particles. All known subatomic particles have both positive and negative magnetic charges, making them dipole particles.

3. Why do scientists study the concept of monopoles?

Monopoles are a major topic of interest in particle physics because their existence would support the unification of the fundamental forces in the universe, particularly electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces.

4. How are scientists searching for monopoles?

Scientists are using a variety of methods to search for monopoles, including particle accelerators, underground detectors, and cosmic ray observations. So far, no conclusive evidence of monopoles has been found.

5. What would be the implications if monopoles are discovered?

If monopoles are discovered, it would revolutionize our understanding of the universe and the fundamental forces that govern it. It could also have practical applications in technology, such as creating more efficient magnetic fields for use in electronics and medicine.