Register to reply

Sin(theta) = dy/dx ?

by rexregisanimi
Tags: dy or dx, sintheta
Share this thread:
rexregisanimi
Jun28-13, 01:49 PM
P: 31
In preparing for an acoustics course, I ran across the following sentence which confused me:

"If (theta) is small, sin(theta) may be replaced by [partial]dy/dx."

I expected to see sin(theta) = (theta) so this threw me off. This came up in the derevation of the one dimensional wave equation after approximating (by Taylor series) the transverse force on a mass element of a tensioned string with [partial]d(Tsin(theta))/dx. The approximation in question thus gave T*([partial]d2y/dx2)*dx.

In the original setup, x and y are cartesian axis in physical 2D space and (theta) is the angle the string (with tension T) makes from the x-axis after displacement from equalibrium.

I've never seen sine approximated by dy/dx before and was hoping somebody might shed some light for me :)
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
LCKurtz
Jun28-13, 03:12 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 7,566
When ##\theta## is small, ##sin\theta \approx \tan\theta = \frac{dy}{dx}##. In the derivation for the vibrating string, ##\theta## is the slope angle of the string.
rexregisanimi
Jun29-13, 09:43 AM
P: 31
Thank you! :)

rcgldr
Jun29-13, 11:51 AM
HW Helper
P: 7,032
Sin(theta) = dy/dx ?

sin(θ) = Δy / sqrt(Δy^2 + Δx^2). For small θ, Δy is small compared to Δx, so

sin(θ) ≈ Δy / sqrt(0 + Δx^2) = Δy / Δx

Register to reply