The Magnus Effect, what is the formula/equation?

In summary, the Magnus effect is a physical phenomenon that causes a lifting force on objects that are spinning. This force is due to the diversion of air flow in the wake of the spinning object.
JordanKnowles
I'm currently doing a project for my A-Level Physics group, and I have chosen to look into the Magnus Effect, however, I'm struggling to find an equation for it? Really need help here! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
I'm not aware of real world formulas. There are idealized formulas for spinning cylinders, but these are fairly off from actual real world examples.

Wiki article, the lift force related to Magnus effect is due to diversion of air flow in the wake that trails the spinning ball:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect

Another archived separation of flow explanation:

wayback_machine_magnus_effect.htm

Likes 1 person
Thank you! But with the equation f(magnus) = S(v)w x v
What does the S(v)w mean?
Also, in the farside article, what is the B=S/m equation for?

S will be the spin of the ball, which is a function of it's speed, w is actually ##\omega## - the angular velocity, and v is the linear velocity. The x in the middle is a cross product. So that's ##S(v)[\vec{\omega} \times \vec{v}]## ... you have to read some of htese things quite carefully since they will gve you the definitions by implication rather than explicitly.

There's quite a bit about the magnus force out there - you should read around.

Likes 1 person
Okay, thank you very much!

rcgldr said:
I'm not aware of real world formulas. There are idealized formulas for spinning cylinders, but these are fairly off from actual real world examples.

Wiki article, the lift force related to Magnus effect is due to diversion of air flow in the wake that trails the spinning ball:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect

Another archived separation of flow explanation:

wayback_machine_magnus_effect.htm

This has to be the underlying (correct) 'reason' because, otherwise one would have a reactionless force. How the air is deflected must also be for (correct) aerodynamic reasons. As with the concurrent discussion thread on How Aeroplanes Fly, people introduce a similar false dichotomy. Can't we maintain more than one ball in the air at a time (mentally)?

1. What is the Magnus Effect?

The Magnus Effect is a phenomenon in fluid dynamics where a spinning object experiences a force perpendicular to its motion, resulting in a curved path.

2. How does the Magnus Effect work?

The Magnus Effect occurs due to differences in air pressure on opposite sides of a spinning object. This pressure difference creates a force that causes the object to move in a curved path.

3. What is the formula for calculating the Magnus Effect?

The formula for calculating the Magnus Effect is F = ρvωA, where F is the force, ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity of the object, ω is the angular velocity, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

4. How is the Magnus Effect used in sports?

The Magnus Effect is used in various sports, such as baseball, tennis, and golf, to control the trajectory and movement of the ball. In these sports, players use spin on the ball to create a pressure difference and cause the ball to curve or swerve in a desired direction.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Magnus Effect?

The Magnus Effect has many real-world applications, including in the design of airplane wings, wind turbines, and sailboats. It is also used in industries such as oil drilling, where it is used to stabilize drilling platforms and guide drilling equipment.