Register to reply

The Physics of Jetpacks?

by nst.john
Tags: jetpacks, physics
Share this thread:
nst.john
Jun29-13, 07:14 PM
P: 112
I saw a working jetpack shown on a tv show on the science channel and it got me thinking how exactly we can make the perfect jetpack. I came up with an idea. AIR CONDITIONERS! Bear with me, just as how a tornado is a vortex of cold and warm winds and can have all that speed and strength, we can make our own vortex using air conditioner-like power sources, cooling the air and then coming out of a hole making a vortex, like smoke makes a vortex when hit out of a drum.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
Drakkith
Jun29-13, 07:18 PM
Mentor
P: 11,892
How's this vortex going to push you up?
nst.john
Jun29-13, 07:22 PM
The vortex will be shooting down first pushing you off the ground, then colliding with air molecules to keep you rising.

Drakkith
Jun29-13, 07:28 PM
Mentor
P: 11,892
The Physics of Jetpacks?

I'm not sure, but I think just shooting exhaust straight down is more efficient than trying to make a vortex. You're using up a lot of energy to make this vortex only to have most of its energy be in the direction of rotation and not pushing you anywhere.
nst.john
Jun29-13, 08:13 PM
That makes more sense.

Register to reply