Muscle contraction-invoke from outside the body

by hisham.i
Tags: body, contractioninvoke, muscle
Share this thread:
hisham.i
Jun30-13, 03:07 PM
P: 178
Hello,

Am not studying biology am engineer but iam just wondering if it is possible to make a muscle contract through external voltage maybe through some electrodes connected to some area on the skin.

Regards
Hisham
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Honey bees sting Texas man about 1,000 times
Study indicates large raptors in Africa used for bushmeat
The microbes make the sake brewery
SW VandeCarr
Jun30-13, 05:38 PM
P: 2,499
Yes, to a certain extent, but not usually as a coordinated muscle response. Coordinated actions can be produced by directly electrically stimulating the motor strip of the exposed cerebral cortex during surgery.
DiracPool
Jun30-13, 06:00 PM
P: 534
Quote Quote by hisham.i View Post

Am not studying biology am engineer but iam just wondering if it is possible to make a muscle contract through external voltage maybe through some electrodes connected to some area on the skin.
Of course it's possible, haven't you seen this commercial?

http://www.theflexbelt.com/?mcp=4140...FU2CQgod61wAgQ

Trust me, they work. My mom bought one some time ago and made me try it. It works so well it's creepy. So creepy, in fact, that I only tried it once. Of course, you could save some money and find out for yourself by sticking your finger in a light socket. But I wouldn't recommend that. Just take my word for it that it works.

hisham.i
Jul1-13, 03:01 AM
P: 178
Muscle contraction-invoke from outside the body

Thanks for your replies, but can anyone give more details how it works to make a muscle contract from outside source? what really happened?
SW VandeCarr
Jul1-13, 03:41 AM
P: 2,499
^
I generally don't like to reference Wiki articles for inquires like yours, but this article explains the complex and incompletely understood process about as clearly as any I was able to find. Essentially direct electrical stimulation of a muscle acts like a nerve action potential arriving at the junction of a nerve axon with muscle tissue (the neuromuscular junction). This opens voltage dependent calcium channels which in turn causes the release of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. This results in an "end plate potential" which propagates through the muscle cell. The process ultimately leads to two proteins, actin and myosin sliding over each other by way of ATP dependent cross bridge activation causing muscle contraction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excitat...ction_coupling

This second article is less detailed in terms of the process, but probably more clear if you don't have some general understanding of the subject.

http://www.nature.com/scitable/topic...ction-14567666

Register to reply